Technology at Simmons offers a wide variety of support services, including campus-wide wireless Internet access, phone and email support from the Help Desk, training, guidelines on buying a computer for school, and free anti-virus software. In addition, they support all technology on campus, including printers, express web stations where you can surf the internet or check your email, free campus-wide wireless, and a variety of online services, among others.
Every student is provided with a Simmons email account, remote file storage which can be accessed from anywhere, and space to create a personal website. You can learn more on the Technology website or you can check out Technology Quick Start Guides.
Need help with technology?
The Service Desk is your technology support resource on campus. Student and faculty are also welcome to visit us in the Information Commons in the Library for technology assistance on Simmons standard applications. Visit the Service Desk for more information.
The Information Commons
Simmons has created an "Information Commons" within its brand new, state-of-the-art Library building, where students can access computers, study spaces, and the resources and staff expertise. The Library and Technology jointly provide students with these services, accessible at the following locations:
- The Library Access Services Desk circulates books and reserve materials;
- The Library Reference Desk provides research assistance and help in finding and evaluating information; and,
- The Technology Desk provides technical assistance and help using the Library's hardware and software.
Highlights of the Information Commons include:
- Study rooms, each with a projector, audio system, and DVD/VHS player where students can work together in a multimedia-rich environment;
- iMacs with the full iLife suite to create multimedia projects;
- Equipment available for students to check out, including wireless laptops and headphones, for use in the Library.
The Library also has many digital resources available.
Build Your Skills
Simmons Technology is pleased to partner with Lynda.com to provide our students, faculty, and staff with 24/7 access to online training. Available for free to the Simmons community, Lynda.com offers a wide range of training modules.
In addition, the Library offers one-on-one research appointments and class sessions on how to use library databases and locate resources for specific subjects and fields of study.
Beyond the Information Commons and online training, students may:
- Borrow equipment including firewire drives, digital voice recorders, and digital still and video cameras from Media Services at no cost
- Schedule production assistance in the Production Lab
- Use the Express Web Stations to quickly check an assignment or other class detail located in common areas throughout Simmons
- Attend a Self-Help Clinic for advice on personally-owned technology
- Contact the Help Desk with questions on computing at Simmons
- If they live on campus, use the dual platform computers located in labs on the Residence Campus