Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to use the Counseling Center services?

On-the-ground Simmons undergraduate students are eligible to meet with a counselor for an initial assessment appointment. After that appointment, your counselor will recommend next steps, which could include a referral to an outside provider, additional meetings with a Simmons counselor, or a referral to a group. This recommendation will be based on your counseling needs as well as your financial and insurance resources.

Graduate and/or online students needing mental health support should reach out to the Student Assistance Program.

Do I have to pay?

There is no fee for counseling services provided by the Simmons University Counseling Center. However, if you are referred to an off campus provider, you will be charged for these services. We will make every attempt to refer you to someone who accepts your insurance and/or with whom you can arrange a mutually acceptable fee.

How do I know if I need counseling?

Counseling is appropriate for anyone who is troubled by a specific problem or has a general concern. Students seek counseling for personal growth, increased self-awareness, self-esteem, anxieties, depression, family and relationship issues, as well as for acute problems or crises.

What hours is the Counseling Center open?

Monday through Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm

Is the Counseling Center open during the summer?

The Counseling Center does not provide ongoing counseling over the summer. However, the Director is available to assist with a referral to a therapist in the community.

Can I see a psychiatrist for Medication?

The Counseling Center's psychiatrist provides consultation and medication management for Counseling Center clients. If you receive counseling outside of Simmons or only want medication management, we are happy to try to provide a referral to a psychiatrist in the community. You can also make an appointment at the Health Center as they may be able to assist with medication management.

Will my contact with the Counseling Center be confidential?

The information shared in a counseling session is confidential and will not be disclosed to anyone or any organization outside the Counseling Center without written consent, unless it is to protect you or someone else from imminent harm, or in cases of child or elder abuse, or if ordered by a court. Please see the section on Confidentiality.

What if I feel suicidal or as if I am experiencing a mental health emergency?

If it is during regular business hours, call the Counseling Center immediately and tell the receptionist that your call is urgent. If you can't reach anyone at the Counseling Center and/or the Center is closed, call Public Safety at x1111.

What can I do if I am concerned about a friend?

You can speak to your RD or someone in the Office for Student Affairs. You are also welcome to make an appointment to talk with one of our counselors about your concerns. If you think your friend is in immediate danger, call Public Safety x1111.

Does the Counseling Center provide academic counseling?

No, please call Academic Advising and Support, (617) 521-2474, provides these services.

Does the Counseling Center provide career counseling?

No, please call the Career Education Center, at (617) 521-2488, provides career services to undergraduate, Dix Scholars, and graduate students.

Does the Counseling Center offer group counseling?

Yes, we offer groups based on student interest. Recent groups have included a BIPOC support group, a group for Queer People of Color (QPOC), a journaling group, and a body Image group. Please let us know if you have ideas for groups!