Tutoring and Academic Support
The Tutoring Center, located in the Center for Student Success, assists students in becoming independent and successful learners. Each semester, faculty recommend students who have successfully completed their courses to act as Peer Tutors for individual tutoring and study groups.
- review assignments
- help students plan long and short-term goals
- assist students in becoming independent learners
- help students develop methods and strategies to solving problems rather than simply giving answers to questions
- assist with study strategy and time management
The mission of the Tutoring Center is to assist undergraduate students in becoming independent and successful learners.
To accomplish this mission Simmons provides course content tutors in many disciplines (e.g., math, biology, chemistry, modern languages) as well as study skills and time management.
Students/Tutees will be able to:
- prioritize which aspects of their work they want to strengthen
- use strategies and resources to develop skills
- apply with confidence what they have learned plan next steps
Peer Tutors will be able to:
- diagnose tutees' understanding and skills
- negotiate with tutees how best to support them
- provide guidance and resources
- apply interpersonal and technical skills as well as flexibility to meet the needs of tutees