These funds are intended to support professional development activities such as the dissemination of creative work or scholarship (e.g. conference travel), and to be aligned with school priorities.
DEADLINES: Funds are available for use from July 1 through June 30. In order to accommodate the end of fiscal year deadlines, faculty members should either have their funds spent or have communicated a plan to use their remaining funds by no later than May 31. If no plan has been communicated by May 31st, funds may be reallocated. Please note, these funds are not an entitlement and may not be "rolled over" from one fiscal year to the next.
AY20-21 Faculty Professional Development Funding
- Limited pool
- Requests due 15th of each month
Simmons, like many universities, froze professional development funding in March 2020 in response to the global health pandemic and the resulting serious financial pressures and travel restrictions. Now, as we enter a new academic year, Simmons has committed to making available limited professional development funding for faculty. This allows the university to continue to support faculty scholarship and creative activity, while acknowledging continued financial pressures and travel restrictions, as well as the continued impact of COVID-19 disruptions and additional responsibilities on faculty time.
Individual professional development accounts remain frozen. Instead, the Provost has designated a limited central pool in each college to support certain types of activities and expenses in line with institutional priorities. Note that funding is not guaranteed and all expenses must be pre-approved.
Note: If you were approved for PDMYR funds or tenure-track start up funds, please contact your Dean for availability.
Eligible Activities and Expenses
Faculty may apply for up to $500 of funding to support eligible activities, including:
- Online conference registration and fees
- Individual professional memberships and licensures
- Access to data sets or online archives
- Individual lab, studio, or reference materials to advance scholarly or creative projects
Funding is not currently available for travel or in-person events in accordance with University policy and public health guidance.
Process and Criteria
Funding is limited. Requests will be reviewed by Dean’s Offices on a monthly basis (15th of each month, while funding available) and priority will be given to activities related to:
- Presentation of original scholarship or creative activity at national or international conferences.
- Projects that will support the advancement of tenure-track faculty and Associate Professors toward promotion.
- Projects that will support sponsored research or successful grant-seeking activity.
- Memberships or licensure required for professional currency.
- Projects that will directly benefit communities through professional knowledge.