Undergraduate Programs Fall 2020
We thank our community for its patience as we have carefully considered plans for the Fall semester. Our guiding principle throughout this process has been the wellbeing of the Simmons community. We want to lead, and lead with care, when it comes to students, faculty, staff, and all those who interact with our community.
Our thoughtful process has led us to decide that all of our teaching and activities will be online for the Fall 2020 semester, with very few exceptions, and therefore very few students living on campus. This is the best way to ensure the continued health and safety of our community and to deliver on our mission — providing transformative learning that links passion with lifelong purpose. It also follows our deeply held value of ensuring equity and fairness in opportunity and experience.
Our hearts are on campus
Though we are confident this decision is the right one, it is still difficult because our hearts are on campus. Many of our undergraduates very much want to return to campus this Fall, and we are also disappointed that we cannot have any of our First-Years through Seniors on campus.
The Simmons University COVID-19 Recovery Task Force, a diverse group of Simmons faculty and staff from across the university, analyzed a variety of Fall scenarios and explored a range of options over the last six weeks, using the following guiding principles:
- Put the health and safety of community members FIRST; follow state, city, and public health guidance
- Ensure equity and fairness in opportunity and experience
- Build first-year community
- Prioritize degree completion, progression, and optimal conditions for learning and teaching
- Consider quality of life and campus experience under COVID constraints
- Minimize risks, exposure, and density of faculty, staff, students on campus
- Reduce potential infections and spread by having students stay home after Thanksgiving
- Preserve financial stability and long-term sustainability
I am confident that this will be a memorable and worthwhile time, one that will bring us closer until I can greet you on campus.
President Lynn Perry Wooten
Academics and Support
Our ability to deliver a high-quality, online undergraduate curriculum is central to our decision to move online for the Fall.Learn More
Read the full announcement on the decision for fall from President Lynn Perry Wooten.
We have carefully considered our tuition and financial aid policies.
Get answers to all of your questions related to the fall 2020 decision.
Download a PDF of our Fall 2020 Plan for Simmons Undergraduates.