Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to use the Counseling Center services?

Any Simmons University undergraduate, Dix Scholar, or graduate student.

Do I have to pay?

There is no fee for counseling services provided by the Simmons University Counseling Center. However, if you are referred to an off campus provider, you will be charged for these services. We will make every attempt to refer you to someone who accepts your insurance and/or with whom you can arrange a mutually acceptable fee.

How do I know if I need counseling?

Counseling is appropriate for anyone who is troubled by a specific problem or has a general concern. Students seek counseling for personal growth, increased self-awareness, self-esteem, anxieties, depression, family and relationship issues, as well as for acute problems or crises.

What hours is the Counseling Center open?

Monday through Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm

Is the Counseling Center open during the summer?

Yes, on a limited basis. From mid-June through mid-August, a staff member is available 2 days per week for evaluation and referral.

Will my contact with the Counseling Center be confidential?

The information shared in a counseling session is confidential and will not be disclosed to any persons or organization outside the Counseling Center without written consent, unless it is to protect you or someone else from imminent harm, or in cases of child or elder abuse, or if ordered by a court. Please see section on Confidentiality.

What if I feel suicidal or as if I am experiencing a mental health emergency?

If it is during regular business hours, call the Counseling Center immediately and tell the receptionist that your call is urgent. If you can't reach anyone at the Counseling Center and/or the Center is closed, call Public Safety at x1111.

What can I do if I am concerned about a friend?

You can speak to your RD or someone in the Office for the Dean for Student Life. You are also welcome to make an appointment to talk with one of our counselors about your concerns. If you think your friend is in immediate danger, call Public Safety x1111.

Does the Counseling Center provide academic counseling?

No, Academic Advising and Support, (617) 521-2474, provides these services.

Does the Counseling Center provide career counseling?

No, the Career Education Center, at (617) 521-2488, provides career services to undergraduate, Dix Scholars, and graduate students.

Does the Counseling Center offer group counseling?

Yes, we offer groups based on student interest.