Deepen your understanding (and enjoyment) of literature by examining the intricate threads woven through the works of writers ranging from Shakespeare and Dickens to Toni Morrison and Jhumpa Lahiri.
Studying English nurtures your creative spirit while sharpening your skills
You'll study poetry, drama, novels, children's literature, films, and television—guided by award-winning faculty with expertise in prose, poetry, drama, children's literature, and media studies—and discover your own style and talent as an analytical and creative writer, as well as your own skills as a literary critic.
Our students go on to careers in law, publishing, advertising, business, government service, technology, media, journalism, writing and teaching. As an English major, with the ability to read carefully, analyze complex and sophisticated material, and communicate clearly in written and verbal form, your skills will always be in demand.
We encourage our students to augment their required courses with in-depth study in the liberal arts and additional courses in the major. Dual-degrees, interdisciplinary programs, and a wide range of minors are also available. You'll work with your advisor to develop a coherent course program that will meet your educational goals.
We also offer a minor in English for students pursuing other majors. A minor in English requires five courses from departmental offerings, including ENGL 199 and at least one course at the 200 or 300 level.
Our students take advantage of internships in Boston and beyond, building their skills and resumes and learning from mentors in their fields. Simmons English majors have interned at:
- Charlesbridge Publishing
- The Actors' Shakespeare Project
- The Boston Casting Co
- Make-a-Wish Foundation
- Brookline Center for the Arts
- Horn Book Magazine
- Candlewick Press
- Boston Ballet
- Horticulture Magazine
- MIT Press
- Harvard Museum of Natural History
- Blackwell Publishing
- Beacon Press
- The Museum of Fine Arts
- Children's Television Workshop
- Versus News
- Blueberry Hill Productions
- Woburn Public School System Libraries
- Raytheon BBN Technologies
- Teen Voices Magazine
- Boston Casting Company
Previous senior theses have included:
- Teaching Holocaust Literature and Film
- Learning Heterosexuality in Homosocial Spaces: The Paradox of Competing Homosocial and Homosexual Interests of Victorian Boys’ School Stories
- Poems Beyond the Page: The Active Art of Reading Poetry
So you know that Simmons is a great place to be, you've learned about our programs, maybe even come for a visit...now you're ready to apply! Let's get started.
- Assistant Professor NTT and Humanities Internship Coordinator
- Professor and Department Chair
- Assistant Professor
- Interim Dean of the Undergraduate Program
- Professor and Graduate Program Director
- Assistant Professor (NTT)