- Bowling Green State University (Bachelor of Science in Journalism) 2006
- University of Toledo (Master of Liberal Studies) 2010
I have been a communication-industry professional for over a decade, working in major US markets such as: Chicago, Miami, New York and Boston. I have been fortunate enough to work in agencies that focus on delivering marketing, advertising, digital communication, social media and public relations services to both professional services and consumer clients. Through my work, I've become well-versed in navigating complex and changing industry dynamics and as a result, bring these real world lessons to the classroom.
These experiences help shape the way I instruct our student-run agency, Studio 5.
In terms of my instruction experience, I have taught at Indiana University Northwest, Lasell University, and Bentley University. At Simmons, I teach in our traditional, undergraduate program as well as direct and oversee our communications programs in the fully digital, CompleteDegree offerings.
Additionally, I've instructed business communication and career readiness courses as well. This combination has allowed me to focus on delivering sound career advice for young professionals on the precipice of entering the field, and I regularly conduct career coaching sessions.
As an instructor, I explore the value of meaningful storytelling and producing results-oriented work in an effort to demonstrate how communications activities tie to larger business objectives. It is because of my work as an industry professional and instructor that I believe I can act as a mentor to Simmons students and prepare them for their future careers.
What I Teach
- COMM 186: Intro to PR and Marcomm
- COMM 281: Content Strategy and Creation
- COMM 286: Intro to Advertising Practice and Branding
- COMM 324: Social Media: Social Listening and Analytics
- COMM 323: Digital Cultures: Communication and Social Media
- COMM 325: PR Seminar: Create a communications campaign
- COMM 390: Studio 5
- Simmons PLAN Boston Course: Writing Seminar
For my thesis work in 2010, I looked to answer the question: What qualities of Mind, Personality and Environment affect Creation and Innovation? Through this research, I discovered that creativity is not genetic, but rather attributed to a series of external factors that can help an individual use more creative parts of his/her/their personality.
"Knowing their Worth: Three Ways to Help Students Connect a Liberal Arts Degree to Career Paths," Liberal Education, Spring 2021
"Review: Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content," Journal of Public Relations Education, 2021
- Graduate Certificate in Communication
- Certificate in Online Teaching and Instruction, Lasell University 2018
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- I belong to the PRSA Faculty Forum in Boston.