Request Academic, Field and Clinical Accommodations
All academic accommodations at Simmons University are applied on a prospective basis; students are not entitled to have accommodations applied on a retroactive basis. While there is no deadline for requesting academic accommodations, the OAS recommends that students submit their documentation and academic accommodation requests at least three weeks before the beginning of the first semester in which they are seeking to use accommodations. Field and clinical accommodations that relate to a student’s ability to access certain settings or to undertake certain activities should be requested before the program’s placement cycle begins.
For all types of academic, field, and clinical accommodations, students are welcome to register with the OAS or to request new accommodations at any time during the academic year but are encouraged to plan well in advance to ensure that they have access to the accommodations they need to access their course or field experience.
To request your Academic Accommodation Authorization document for the upcoming or current academic year, submit the secure accommodation request form. Unless a new diagnosis has occurred, you do not need to submit new or additional documents.
WHEN: Timetable of Requesting Academic Accommodations:
- New First Year or Transfer Students (On-ground / Boston) may begin to request academic accommodations beginning August 1 (Fall semester) or Dec 15 (Spring semester) of their entering year.
- Returning students (On-Ground / Boston) may request academic accommodations beginning August 15 (Fall semester) or Jan 5 (Spring semester).
- Online students may request academic accommodations in accordance with their term start times.
HOW: Steps to Requesting Academic Accommodations
Before starting: Before starting: Your academic accommodation request cannot be processed until OAS has received and reviewed your complete documentation. Please refer to “Register with Accessibility Services” for documentation guidance and requirements.
- Complete and submit the secure accommodation request form. (Note that this is the same link through which students submit their documentation.)
- After submitting your request for academic accommodations, email [email protected] to schedule an introductory meeting with OAS staff if you are new to OAS (first-year, transfer, and returning student requiring new accommodations).
- Students are responsible for delivering their AAA document to their faculty. Generally, OAS does not deliver the AAA document on behalf of students. Students are not eligible to use their accommodations in any class until they have delivered their AAA document to the course’s instructor.
Commonly requested academic accommodations include, but are not limited to:
- Extended Time on Assessments
- Use of the OAS Testing Center
- Alternate Access to Text
- Access to Note Provision
Language Alternate as an Accommodation
Priority Registration as an Accommodation
- (617) 521-2658
- Send an email
- Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Center for Student Success, Ground Floor, Lefavour Hall
- (617) 521-2658
- Send an email
- Monday - Thursday 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. EST