- BA in Psychology, University of Hartford
- BS/DPD in Nutrition and Dietetics, Simmons University
- MDA in Dietetics Administration, Utah State University
Kate Walker, MDA, RDN, LDN, CSG is an Assistant Professor of Practice at Simmons University and the clinical instructor for the Simmons Dietetic Internship. She is a CDR Certified Specialist of Gerontology with over 10 years experience as a clinical dietitian in acute, subacute and long-term care levels. As a contract trainer for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Nutrition Focused Physical Exam (NFPE) workshop, she teaches advanced skills in detecting malnutrition and nutrient deficiencies in patients to nutrition professionals around the country.
Professor Walker is passionate about mentoring students to develop their clinical judgement and to help build confidence in their practice.
Area of Expertise
- Gerontological Nutrition
- Nutrition Focused Physical Exam
What I Teach
- NUTR 111-112 Introduction To Nutrition Science
- NUTR 331, Practice of Clinical Dietetics
- NUTR 451-AL, Dietetic Fieldwork Lab
- Interprofessional Education Committee, member
"NFPE for Challenging Populations" Presented at the Massachusetts Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (MAND), Virtual Conference, January 2021
"Ethics for Dietitians Treating Individuals at the End of Life" Moderated presentation at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Food and Nutrition Expo (FNCE), Virtual Conference. October 19, 2020.
"Malnutrition Across The Lifespan: Viewed Through the Lenses of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists and Physical Therapists" Presented for Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics & American Physical Therapy Association webinar series, June-2020
"NFPE: Identifying malnutrition in the context of advanced age" Presented at Boston dietetic internship class days for geriatric nutrition, 2019-2021
"Identifying risk of micronutrient deficiencies in older adults: B12 and Vitamin D" Presented to ECHO-AGE Didactic, geriatric medical practice group, BIDMC March 2016.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Dietetic Practice Group for Healthy Aging
- Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors
- American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition