About the School of Social Work
The nation's first institute of higher learning to offer training for clinical social workers
In 1904, Simmons was the nation's first institute of higher learning to offer training for clinical social workers. We are proud of our 115-year history of leadership in social work education and our role in shaping the social work profession. Simmons has been a pioneer in social work education and practice.
Our goal is to provide transformative learning experiences through our small, interactive classroom environment, experiential learning opportunities, and strong faculty mentorship. Our BSW, MSW, and PhD programs share a commitment to preparing graduates to practice social work in a complex, multicultural world. Our programs focus on the development of strong skills, career preparation, and readiness for the field. Our students share a passion for scholarship, a dedication to community, a vision for change, and a commitment to social justice and human rights.
Our nationally renowned MSW program continues to lead the way today with its rigorous and innovative clinical social work programs for men and women. Our faculty are highly specialized in direct clinical practice--close to 90% of the faculty have direct clinical practice experience, and they take pride in mentoring and teaching students. Simmons offers more hands-on training in the field than any of the other social work schools in the Boston area. Simmons is the only Massachusetts school to use state-of-the art Social Work Simulation Education to engage MSW students in higher level learning. Simmons students excel with their high pass rates on the licensing exam and high rates of employment within 6 months of graduation.
- Nationally acclaimed BSW, MSW & PhD programs
- BSW and MSW programs fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- The PhD program is designed for working professionals
- The nation’s most comprehensive clinical social work program
- Strong emphasis on BSW and MSW field education
- Our MSW students get more hands-on experience in the field than any other program in the Boston area
- Small, accessible campus in the heart of Boston
- Faculty who are noted teachers, practitioners and researchers
- Personalized, high-quality faculty advising
- Advanced Standing Program for BSW graduates
- On-campus and online program options that make a Simmons education even more accessible
- Small student-to-faculty ratio
- Full-time and extended program study options
- High rate of successful job placements and professional opportunities for graduates
- Innovative programs that address clinical challenges and community and cultural contexts
- Dynamic, diverse and involved social work community