- University of California, San Diego (BA)
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (ScD)
- Fellow of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (FASTMH)
I am a Professor of Nursing at Simmons University and have been involved in preparing Nursing students in basic science content since 1989. I teach Advanced Human Pathophysiology for graduate nursing students both in the Nursing@Simmons online program and on campus. I have an extensive teaching background and am committed to the education of nurses and health professionals.
Area of Expertise
My area of expertise is in pathophysiology and human disease processes. I am also an international expert on malaria and work with the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
What I Teach
I teach NURP404 and NURS404, Advanced Human Pathophysiology in the Nursing@Simmons and Campus programs.
- Nursing Students Without Borders
- Science Education in Schools
- Malaria population genetics and drug resistance
Neafsey DE and Volkman SK (2017). Malaria Genomics in the Era of Eradication. In: Malaria: Biology in the Era of Eradication. Wirth, DF and Alonso, P (eds), Cold Spring Harbor Publications, New York.
Daniels RF, Schaffner SF, Dieye Y, Dieng G, Hainsworth M, Fall FB, Diouf CN, Ndiop M, Cisse M, Gueye AB, Sarr O, Guinot P, Deme AB, Bei AK, Sy M, Thwing J, MacInnis B, Earle D, Guinovart C, Sene D, Hartl DL, Ndiaye D, Steketee RW, Wirth DF, Volkman SK. Genetic evidence for imported malaria and local transmission in Richard Toll, Senegal. Malar J. 2020 Aug 3;19(1):276. doi: 10.1186/s12936-020-03346-x. PMID: 32746830
Daniels RF, Schaffner SF, Bennett A, Porter TR, Yukich JO, Mulube C, Mambwe B, Mwenda MC, Chishimba S, Bridges DJ, Moonga H, Hamainza B, Chizema Kawesha E, Miller JM, Steketee RW, Wirth DF, Eisele TP, Hartl DL, Volkman SK. Evidence for Reduced Malaria Parasite Population after Application of Population-Level Antimalarial Drug Strategies in Southern Province, Zambia. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2020 Aug;103(2_Suppl):66-73. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.19-0666. PMID: 32618255
Genetic surveillance for monitoring the impact of drug use on Plasmodium falciparum populations. Ndiaye YD, Hartl DL, McGregor D, Badiane A, Fall FB, Daniels RF, Wirth DF, Ndiaye D, Volkman SK. Int J Parasitol Drugs Drug Resist. 2021 Jul 26;17:12-22. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpddr.2021.07.004. PMID: 34333350
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Scholarly Excellence Award, Simmons University (2007)
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Simmons University (2010)
- Christensen Fellow, Harvard University (2000)
Senior Teaching Fellow, Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University (1998)
Young Investigator, American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (1994)