- School of Social Work
- Ph.D. Clinical Social Work, Boston College Graduate School of Social Work, Boston, Ma 2004
- M.S.W. Boston College Graduate School of Social Work, Boston, Ma 1993
- M.A. Theology St. Joseph's College, Standish, Me 2016
- B.S. Sociology/Psychology, Suffolk University, Boston, Ma 1991
Dr. Burns is an Associate Professor of Practice and Associate Program Director for [email protected] program. She has been a practicing social worker in Maine for 27 years. Previously she was a private consultant working with social service agencies assisting with accreditation, licensing and the development and coordination of clinical programs. She has extensive experience in providing training and supervision to M.S.W. students and clinical social workers. She has experience in developing, designing and implementing course content for graduate social work students. Currently, she has a private practice serving children, adolescents and families using a variety of treatment modalities. She is a Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Relief volunteer in Maine. Dr Burns also is a volunteer for Give an Hour providing mental health services for military families.
What I Teach
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment
- Social Work With Groups
- Crisis Intervention with Children
- Assessment & Diagnosis
- Social Work Practice I, II
- Advanced Clinical Practice I, II
- Capstone Seminar
- Child and Adolescent Trauma
- Essential Elements of Telebehavioral Health Services
- Advanced Standing Seminar
Burns, J. (March 2004). Boston College Graduate School of Social Work. Dissertation- Examining effects of Targeted Case Management on behavioral and service outcomes for children and youth experiencing severe emotional disturbance.
Yoe, J., Burns, J., Linus, S. Auslander, M. (February 2004). The Influence of Childhood Trauma on Public Mental Health Service Use and Expenditures: Preliminary Findings. Paper Presented at the Fourteenth Annual Conference on State Mental Health Agency Services Research, Program Evaluation, and Policy Arlington, Virginia.
Yoe, J.T., Turner, W., Burns, J., Linus, S. (March, 2003). Understanding child and adolescent users of targeted case management services in Maine: an exploratory study. Paper presented at the 16th Annual Florida Mental Health Institute Research Conference: A System of Care for Children's Mental Health Tampa, Florida.