Uniting passion with lifelong purpose.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, social work employment is expected to increase through 2029. The aging baby boom generation is driving the demand for social workers. Likewise, the need for social workers specializing in children and family, school social workers, substance abuse, mental health, and healthcare is projected to rise. Social Work jobs are projected to have an average 13% growth rate –faster than the average growth that is projected for all occupations from 2019 to 2029.
Graduates of the Simmons School of Social Work are among the most prepared and sought-after professionals ready to meet these needs.
Throughout the year, the School of Social Work and the Career Education Center host events to support student career planning and preparation. Career Connections in January features several workshops on writing a professional social work resume and creating a successful job search strategy. In mid-Winter the SSW hosts a recruitment fair attended by over 40 local employers; in early Spring we co-sponsor with the State registration board several workshops on the LCSW licensing process. Students can also access the career counseling services at the University’s Career Education Center. Professional Social Work Job openings are posted on the School of Social Work job board and on the University’s Handshake online career resource. Employers can submit new job listings through our online form.
First jobs for recent SSW graduates
- Clinical Social Worker, Emergency Department of Boston Children’s Hospital
- Child and Family Social Worker, Home for Little Wanderers
- Clinical Social Worker, Cardiovascular Medicine Division of Brigham and Women’s Hospital · Clinical Social Worker, Fenway Health
- Clinical Social Worker, Seasons Hospice, Norwood, Massachusetts
- Clinical Social Worker, Neurology Unit of Massachusetts General Hospital
- Clinical Social Worker, Veterans Administration Boston Health Care System
- Clinical Social Worker and Intake Coordinator, Southern Jamaica Plain Community Health Center, Boston, Massachusetts
- Emergency Services Clinician, BEST Team
- Inpatient Psychiatry Social Worker, Worcester State Hospital
- School Social Worker, Revere Public Schools
- Sibling and Group Social Worker, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Social Work Supervisor at the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Children and Families
- Behavioral Health Integrated Therapist, Codman Square Health Center, Dorchester, Massachusetts
- Child and Family Clinician, Whittier Street Health Center, Roxbury, Massachusetts
- Clinician Care Coordinator, North Suffolk Mental Health
- Bilingual Dual- Diagnosis Clinician, Casa Esperanza, Boston
- Director of LGBTQ Services at Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Division of Student Life
- Fellow, Ruderman Fellowship in Gerontological Social Work at Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Clinical Social Worker, Smart Team, South End Community Health Center
- Clinical Social Worker, The Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights
- School Social Worker, Victor School, Justice Resource Center
- Counselors in the Simmons Counseling Center
- Medical Social Worker in Cardiology at Boston's Massachusetts General Hospital
- Addictions Specialist at the North Charles Institute for the Addictions in Somerville, Massachusetts
- Social Worker and Family Services Manager, City of Somerville, Massachusetts
Social Work Career Resources
Meet Our Alumnae/i
Alumna Ann Batchelder is the author of Craving Spring: A mother’s quest, a daughter’s depression, and the Greek myth that brought them together (Legacy Book Press, forthcoming 2023). In this deeply personal account, Batchelder identifies with the Greek goddess Demeter as she helps her daughter recover from addiction and supports her on the road to recovery.
What The Job Entails Bianca Dunbar is a school-based social worker at UP Academy Dorchester, a Boston Public School serving PreK-8 students. As one of three social workers, she handles a caseload of 13 middle-school students who have individualized education...
Annmary Connor '23DSW is the Executive Director of Bread & Roses Housing (BRH) in Lawrence, MA, a community land trust that provides affordable homeownership opportunities for low-income individuals in Greater Lawrence. We spoke to Annmary about the importance of this...
What the job entails Erika Cadena is a clinical social worker in the Emergency Department at Boston Children's Hospital. In this fast-paced and varied role, she identifies and works with patients and families in need of support and resources related...
Since she majored in Social Work at Simmons, Erin Curley has supported vulnerable individuals in her community. In her current role, she’s helping others engage as well by connecting Northeastern students with community service opportunities in Boston and beyond. Curley...
What the Job Entails Jonathan Stewart is a school social worker for the Metropolitan Council for Educational Opportunity (METCO) Program for Arlington Public Schools in Arlington, Massachusetts—part of one of the longest-running voluntary school-integration programs in the country. Dividing his...
What made you choose Simmons for your undergraduate degree? The biggest draw for me was Boston. I'm from Portland, Maine, so Boston is only two hours away, and I could envision myself in Boston. Simmons was appealing for the small...
Divya Kumar '19MSW is a psychotherapist at And Still We Rise therapy practice in Boston, and a co-founder of the Perinatal Mental Health Alliance for People of Color. She writes about the intersections of race, trauma, and perinatal mental health...