Uniting passion with lifelong purpose.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, social work employment is expected to increase through 2029. The aging baby boom generation is driving the demand for social workers. Likewise, the need for social workers specializing in children and family, school social workers, substance abuse, mental health, and healthcare is projected to rise. Social Work jobs are projected to have an average 13% growth rate –faster than the average growth that is projected for all occupations from 2019 to 2029.
Graduates of the Simmons School of Social Work are among the most prepared and sought-after professionals ready to meet these needs.
Throughout the year, the School of Social Work and the Career Education Center host events to support student career planning and preparation. Career Connections in January features several workshops on writing a professional social work resume and creating a successful job search strategy. In mid-Winter the SSW hosts a recruitment fair attended by over 40 local employers; in early Spring we co-sponsor with the State registration board several workshops on the LCSW licensing process. Students can also access the career counseling services at the University’s Career Education Center. Professional Social Work Job openings are posted on the School of Social Work job board and on the University’s Handshake online career resource. Employers can submit new job listings through our online form.
First jobs for recent SSW graduates
- Clinical Social Worker, Emergency Department of Boston Children’s Hospital
- Child and Family Social Worker, Home for Little Wanderers
- Clinical Social Worker, Cardiovascular Medicine Division of Brigham and Women’s Hospital · Clinical Social Worker, Fenway Health
- Clinical Social Worker, Seasons Hospice, Norwood, Massachusetts
- Clinical Social Worker, Neurology Unit of Massachusetts General Hospital
- Clinical Social Worker, Veterans Administration Boston Health Care System
- Clinical Social Worker and Intake Coordinator, Southern Jamaica Plain Community Health Center, Boston, Massachusetts
- Emergency Services Clinician, BEST Team
- Inpatient Psychiatry Social Worker, Worcester State Hospital
- School Social Worker, Revere Public Schools
- Sibling and Group Social Worker, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Social Work Supervisor at the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Children and Families
- Behavioral Health Integrated Therapist, Codman Square Health Center, Dorchester, Massachusetts
- Child and Family Clinician, Whittier Street Health Center, Roxbury, Massachusetts
- Clinician Care Coordinator, North Suffolk Mental Health
- Bilingual Dual- Diagnosis Clinician, Casa Esperanza, Boston
- Director of LGBTQ Services at Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Division of Student Life
- Fellow, Ruderman Fellowship in Gerontological Social Work at Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Clinical Social Worker, Smart Team, South End Community Health Center
- Clinical Social Worker, The Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights
- School Social Worker, Victor School, Justice Resource Center
- Counselors in the Simmons Counseling Center
- Medical Social Worker in Cardiology at Boston's Massachusetts General Hospital
- Addictions Specialist at the North Charles Institute for the Addictions in Somerville, Massachusetts
- Social Worker and Family Services Manager, City of Somerville, Massachusetts
Social Work Career Resources
Meet Our Alumnae/i
As assistant program director of Adult Community Clinical Services at Aspire Health Alliance, Justin Cancel is able to directly apply lessons from Simmons' masters of social work program to his work with clients and coworkers.
Angelica is a clinical social worker in the pediatric clinic at the Center of Excellence in Sickle Cell Disease at Boston Medical Center. Working closely with families of children dealing with this complex disorder, Angelica tells us how Simmons prepared her.
Career changer Margaret Brady raised three children diagnosed with neurodevelopmental challenges. Her goal when coming to Simmons? Apply her lived experience and advocacy skills to social work practice.
As a clinical social worker for the pilot school, Richelle Smith thanks Simmons for helping her get there. Learn more about Richelle's passion for the youth community and why Simmons stood out to her as the "total package."
Co-founder and CEO of Fathers’ UpLift, Inc., Dr. Charles Daniels, tells us why he decided to continue his education at Simmons and how he hopes to expand his 10-year-old organization to have a greater societal impact.
Campbell's latest work, "Frieda's Song," was inspired by the life and career of psychiatrist Dr. Frieda Fromm Reichmann. Dr. Fromm Reichmann practiced at the Chestnut Lodge Sanatorium — not far from where Campbell, herself, did the same.
As clinical supervisor for Bay Cove Human Services in Dorchester, Elizabeth gets to experience things that many clinicians never do: work with clients in their personal spaces. Learn more about her position and the lesson from Simmons she utilizes daily.
As an Adult Outpatient Clinical Social Worker at Boston Medical Center, Carmen Benjamin finds joy in empowering her clients. Learn about Carmen's journey into the master's in social work program, and why she felt at home with Simmons.