COVID-19 Update for Students and Families
Update - March 17, 2020: Students who have requested a move-out date after Thursday, March 19th are respectfully asked to immediately contact the Office of Residence Life at [email protected] to schedule a time to move out on or before the 19th at 7:00 p.m. Given the changing and dynamic nature of this situation, we must close down our residence campus to resident students by 7:00 p.m. on Thursday evening. If you are unable to return to campus, you will be able to request to leave your belongings on campus.
Updated March 17, 2020
- Move Out Dates: Schedule, process, and forms for new move out timeline.
- Policy Exception: Students returning from any Level 2 or Level 3 area (which now includes all of Europe) must self-quarantine for a minimum of 14 days and may not come to the Simmons campus during that time.
- Key Drop Off: Guidelines for dropping off keys.
- Commencement: We will communicate with students and families as soon as a decision about Commencement has been made.
Residence Campus Closure Information
- We encourage all residents who have not yet moved out of their rooms to do so as soon as possible. If you are able to move out sooner than the date indicated on your Move Out Form, please email [email protected] to let our office know your updated move-out date.
- Please note that you are welcome to effect your move outside our office hours (9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.); however, you will not have access to carts or dollies through our office if you do so. Please make note that the campus gates close at 10:30 p.m. each day and reopen at 6:00 a.m. During that time, the only access to the campus is via tap ID at the back entrance of Simmons Hall.
- If it is not possible for you to return to campus to collect your belongings by Thursday, March 19th, at 7:00 p.m., we will no longer be able to permit you to return to campus for a late move-out. As such, you will first need to fill out the Request to Leave Belongings on Campus, so that we have a record of your belongings remaining in the residence hall. Our office will ensure that your door is locked and has an “Occupied” sign placed on the outside to protect your possessions. Because we cannot predict with certainty when you would be able to return to campus to retrieve your things, we will follow up individually with those students who submit the Request to Leave Belongings on Campus regarding next steps.
- If you are unable to afford to leave campus before Thursday, March 19th, please be aware that the University may be able to utilize emergency funds to help mitigate these concerns so that you can vacate the campus by the deadline. If you need assistance with travel booking, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at [email protected].
- Please keep in mind that it is imperative to make travel plans as soon as possible, as waiting may make it more difficult to leave, due to the evolving nature of the situation that may include travel restrictions in the coming days.
We understand that these new developments will cause difficulty for some students, and we are committed to working with you to help offset as much of the burden as we can. We will happily connect you with any resources that can be of assistance to you as you solidify your move out plans and arrangements for alternative housing. However, we must acknowledge that ensuring the health and safety of our community at this time necessitates drastic actions. While we know that this updated process will certainly present challenges, we have fully weighed those challenges against the risks of inaction or stagnation. We do not take this situation or your health and safety lightly, and we will continue to do whatever is necessary to ensure the well-being of our students.
A firm exception to this policy
Students returning from any Level 2 or Level 3 area (which now includes all of Europe) must self-quarantine for a minimum of 14 days. You may not come to the Simmons campus during the 14-day window after your return to the United States. You may submit a Request to Leave Belongings on Campus or contact [email protected] regarding next steps.
Key Drop Off
All residents should drop their keys off at the Office of Residence Life immediately after moving out between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. or drop their keys at the designated key boxes located in their respective residence hall lobby. All Riverway residents MUST return their keys to The Campus Card Office, located on the first floor of the Palace Road Building (Room B-105). Townhouse (TH) residents will receive instructions from the TH management team with move out instructions, so please wait for further instruction.
Simmons has not yet made a decision regarding holding Commencement. We will communicate to you as soon as that decision has been made.
We are committed to making your move-out as easy as possible so you can get home safely and take care of yourself and your loved ones. Again, we will greatly miss you and will look forward to connecting with you online.