- Behavior Analysis
- 1992 Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Northeastern University, Boston, MA.
- 1986 M.A. Applied Behavior Analysis, Northeastern University, Boston, MA.
- 1979 B.A. Psychology, New York State University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY.
- Licensed Applied Behavior Analyst, Massachusetts
- BCBA-D: Certification as a Doctoral-Level Board Certified Behavior Analyst
Russell W. Maguire is a behavior analyst with more than 35 years of applied and research experience. He is currently an associate professor and chair of the Department of Behavior Analysis at Simmons University. Maguire is a doctoral-level Board Certified Behavior Analyst® (BCBA-D®).
Maguire’s professional experience can be divided into two areas. First, he has an extensive applied and successful history of working with individuals with developmental disabilities (e.g., autism spectrum disorders, mental disability, etc.) and severe challenging behaviors (e.g., serious aggression, self-injury, eating disorders, etc.). Second, he has taught at the college graduate-school level, in the fields of special education and behavior analysis, for more than 25 years. As a consequence, Maguire is able to implement the cutting edge of behavior analysis research to develop innovative and state-of-the-art applied behavior analytic treatment.
Maguire is a published researcher and frequent presenter at local, state, and national professional conferences, particularly in the areas of stimulus control and stimulus equivalence.
Area of Expertise
- Stimulus control
- Stimulus Equivalence
- Errorless Instruction
- Applied Interventions to Address Behavioral and Instructional Deficits
What I Teach
- Introduction to Behavior Analysis
- Introduction to Single Subject Research Designs
- Stimulus Control
Palmer, S.K., Maguire, R.W., Lionello-DeNolf , K., and Braga-Kenyon, P. (2020). The
Inclusion of Prompts in Equivalence Classes. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 115 (1), 255-271.
Yorlets, C., Maguire, R.W., King, C.M. and Breault, M. (2018) Acquisition of complex conditional discriminations in a child with autism spectrum disorder. The Psychological Record, 68, 219-229. DOI 10.1007/s40732-018-0283-2
Aleimda, D.A., Allen, R., Maguire, R.W. and Maguire, K. (2018). Identifying community‐based reinforcers of adults with autism and related disabilities. Journal of Behavioral Education. DOI 10.1007/s10864-018-9295-x
Maguire, R.W. and Allen, R.F. (2015). Another Perspective as to What Counts as High Quality Practitioner Training in Applied Behavior Analysis : A Response to Dixon, Reed, Smith, Belisle and Jackson. Behavior Analysis in Practice.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Association of Behavior Analysis, International