Passionate Leaders Project
The Passionate Leaders Project (PLP) supports undergraduate students seeking to enrich their academic and professional interests by funding learning opportunities beyond the boundaries of the traditional classroom. Students may request up to $4,000 through the PLP to fund a variety of activities, including, but not limited to: global experiences, research, internships, service projects, and creative endeavors.
How to apply
To apply for funding, applicants will submit a written statement:
- Describing the overall project including activities, outcomes, and broader impacts.
- Linking the project to future professional or educational goals.
After completing the project, students will be required to write a reflection that captures their experience and areas of personal and professional growth.
Read the full Proposal Guidelines.
We are now accepting applications for our Spring 2021 application cycle. The deadline is February 4, 2021.
For more information about the PLP, contact Rachel Oshinsky at [email protected].
Second semester sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible to apply. Although there is no GPA requirement to access PLP funding, students must be in good academic standing. Undergraduate students may receive PLP funding only once during their time at Simmons.
Engaging in research with a faculty mentor, studying abroad, or working within one’s field of interest is essential to learning. The PLP strives to make these opportunities accessible to every Simmons student. Through the PLP students will:
- Deepen their passion to address the challenges of an increasingly complex world.
- Develop critical leadership skills and knowledge.
- Attain and demonstrate key competencies, which prepare students for success in the workplace or future academic pursuits.
While students may propose Passionate Leader Projects of their own design, the following programs are featured PLPs from the Center for Global Education (CGE).
- Euro Scholar Program: A semester-long study abroad program where students will join a research team at a university in the EuroScholars consortium.
- SIT Summer Programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Europe: Through research and five week internships, students will gain hands-on experience in professional areas that focus on today’s critical global issues.
- IES Summer Internships: A full-time internship in a variety of fields from film to finance to health care and more, in several locations including Sydney, Australia, and Cape Town, South Africa.
If you have questions about the opportunities above and their financial structure, or if you would like to learn about other global opportunities, please contact [email protected].
Meet the Fall 2020 Cohort
From mitigating plastic waste in research laboratories to fighting for educational equity in the public school system, this year's Passionate Leaders fall cohort will tackle a wide range of diverse projects.Fall 2020 Cohort