- Associate Professor Emerita
Studying Art at Simmons University means that Boston is your classroom. We are surrounded by world class museums and musical organizations. You will have classes at the Museum of Fine Arts, the unique Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and meet the professionals who work there.
Studying art changes the way you see the world
You'll learn to navigate our visual world in a dynamic and meaningful way. And you'll gain the skills needed to research, experiment and solve problems creatively, no matter what your career.
Through art history, you'll develop an understanding of diverse cultures—past and present. In studio art, you will learn to express your own ideas visually. Or choose arts administration and prepare for roles in museums, performing arts groups and other cultural organizations.
Our students go on to successful careers in museums, education, marketing, development and public relations. They become artists, doctors, professors, lawyers, entrepreneurs and designers.
We encourage students to augment their art and music courses with study in other disciplines and additional courses in the major. Dual-degrees, interdisciplinary programs and a wide range of minors are also available. Each student works with an advisor to develop a coherent course program that will meet their educational goals.
The study of art leads to careers in a wide variety of fields, such as teaching, publishing, gallery and auction houses, museums, graphic design, marketing, painting and photography, In all of these areas, the major in art could profitably be combined with a major in another area, such as chemistry, biology, history, philosophy, management, communications or mathematics.
We also offer a minor in art for students pursuing other majors.
We prepare our students to be successful leaders in the exciting fields of art and music. You'll take advantage of internships at arts and cultural organizations in Boston and beyond, building your skills and résumé and learning from mentors in your field.
Our students fulfill their independent learning and internship requirements in a variety of ways, including recent placements in:
- Museum of Fine Arts: Education Department
- Museum of Fine Arts: Islamic Art Department
- The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- The Boston Ballet
Recent positions of our alumnae include:
- Professor of art history
- Development professional at WGBH public television
- Program developer at Boston Museum of Science
- Artist-in-Residence at MIT's Broad Institute
- Graduate students at Massachusetts College of Art, University of Texas, and University of Nebraska
So you know that Simmons is a great place to be, you've learned about our programs, maybe even come for a visit...now you're ready to apply! Let's get started.
- Professor and Chair, Art & Music
- Professor of Practice and Photo Lab Coordinator
- Associate Professor and Director Arts Administration Program
- Assistant Professor NTT and Director, Trustman Art Gallery and University Art Collection
- Adjunct Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty