School of Library and Information Science Alumnae/i
Our alumni have a passion for life-long learning, discovery and helping others.
As a Simmons SLIS alum, you are now part of a professional community that stretches across the globe. SLIS alumni are in libraries, schools, museums, technology, higher education, government, corporate libraries, and special collections, among many other institutions.
Our alums are innovators, challengers of the status quo, and champions of the right to information. As such, SLIS alumni are our most powerful ambassadors in the world of LIS.
Share Your News
We are proud of the accomplishments of our alumni and want to promote your work. Have you received a promotion, been hired for a new position, engaged in meaningful volunteer work, published an article or book chapter, or received an award? Please let us know! For inclusion on the SLIS News page and SLIS social media, please submit your news.
Join the Board
Join the Honors Society
The Beta Beta Chapter of Beta Phi Mu invites eligible graduates each year to join the official LIS honor society, which is devoted to ideals of scholarship and service. Members can connect on Facebook.
Become an Alumnae/i Ambassador
Alumni Ambassadors can get involved in many ways, including speaking on an alumni panel at monthly information sessions and representing Simmons at off-campus recruiting fairs. For more information, reach out to SLIS Admissions.
Become a Mentor
The mentoring program assists students by providing insights into competencies required in various professional areas. For more information, reach out to Assistant Dean for Student and Alumni Affairs, Dr. Em Claire Knowles.
Simmons SLIS is proud to boast some leaders in the LIS field among our graduates, including David Ferriero '74MS, 10th Archivist of the United States, Robert Hudson '77MS, Boston University Librarian, and Sarah Thomas '73MS, Director of the Harvard Libraries.
The SLIS Alumni board sponsors awards for outstanding alums in the Library and Information Science and the Children's Literature Programs. The most recent recipients of the Simmons Alumni Achievement Award include:
- 2018: Jane Sánchez '76LS, 25th Law Librarian of Congress, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. Jane shared this message with us upon her receipt of the award.
- 2017 Tom Blake '06MS, Content Discovery Manager, Boston Public Library; received MBLC award, 2015.
- 2016: Courtney Young '07MS, then-Head Librarian and Professor of Women's Studies at Pennsylvania State University; currently University Librarian at Colgate University. President of the American Library Association, 2014-2015. Recipient of the 2016 Simmons Alumni Achievement Award for Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in Library and Information Professional Endeavors
- 2016, Award for Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in the Field of Children's Literature: Victoria Smith '03GS, Kirkus editor, Simmons Adjunct; Smith has served on award committees for the Newbery, Caldecott, and Printz.
- 2015: Toby Pearlstein '77MS '87DA retired Director of Global Services for Bain & Company; co-author (with James Matarazzo, Dean and Professor Emeritus) of numerous articles about corporate and special libraries.
- 2014: Linda Watkins '82MS, retired librarian from Simmons SLIS.
- 2013: Artemis Kirk '75MS, University Librarian, Georgetown University in Washington, DC (retired in 2017).
- 2012: Jo Cates '84MS, then-Associate Vice President for Academic Research and Dean of the Library, Columbia College, Chicago; currently Library Director at the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.
- 2011: Maura Marx '04MS, then-Deputy Director, Institute of Museum and Library Services, Washington, DC. Currently President of Fidelity Foundations in Salem, New Hampshire.