Service and Social Justice at Simmons
Social Justice is a core value of Simmons University, and our community members have a long history of engagement in service, activism, advocacy, and other social justice efforts. Service, volunteering, and philanthropy are activities which help participants in the Simmons community learn about and understand social injustices and ongoing efforts to make real and lasting social change. Below are just some other ways the London Center does this work - reach out to learn more or share your ideas.
- Drives - Each year the London Center hosts a warm clothing drive for one of our Jumpstart preschool partners. We are also the clearing house for all student drives on campus. Want to host a drive? Fill out our Campus Drive Request Form.
- Volunteer Opportunities - We regularly update a document of volunteer opportunities, and also encourage organizations to post on handshake. Not finding something that interests you or having trouble connecting with an organization you are interested in? Set up a consultation with our office.
- Muddy River Clean Up - Each fall and spring we partner with the Muddy Water Initiative to a clean up of the river directly across the street from our main campus. The clean up helps us to make a direct contribution to our community while learning about conservation efforts.
- Social Justice Art Gallery - In the fall of 2022, the London Center launched our Social Justice Art Gallery in the 3rd floor lobby of the Management and Academic building. The gallery showcases art at the crossroads of service and advocacy efforts with our community partners. Shows generally involve partner organizations and ways to get involved with social justice issues. Past shows included our community partner Mass NOW's Period Pop Up Art Show, which was created to spread awareness about issues of menstrual equity, and the art of Opening Minds Through Art, an intergenerational, abstract art-making program for older adults and those living with dementia.
- International Women's Day and other events - Simmons is proud to partner each March with the Boston-Area International Women's Day Committee to host an International Women's Day Breakfast. We also have other events aimed to educate and build community around social justice issues.