Nursing (MS) + Public Health (MPH): Dual Degree Program with Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Our accelerated 2-year, Dual Degree program allows you to achieve your goals and advance your career. Students earn an MS in Primary Health Care Nursing from Simmons and a MPH from Harvard T.H.Chan School of Public Health. Learn more about the Dual Degree program.

How to Apply

The application deadline for Fall 2020 will be February 17, 2020.

Simmons subscribes to NursingCAS for the application process. Please go to the NursingCAS website for more information on the application process.

Application Requirements

Applicants must apply to and be accepted by each institution (Simmons University and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health) individually to enroll in this special program. Each institution maintains different application deadlines, admission criteria and curriculum.This program offers entry at Simmons and only in the fall semester. A BSN or a BS/BA and a current U.S. RN license in good standing from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university; a minimum GPA of 3.0 in both nursing courses and the overall GPA are required for eligibility for admission. Separate applications to Simmons and to Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is required.

Prerequisites: Statistics, Health Assessment

Applicants must have taken an undergraduate statistics course and a health assessment course at a regionally accredited U.S. postsecondary institution within 7 years prior to the application deadline. The course must be equal to a semester in length and a grade of B or better is required. The course may be in progress at the time of application and must be completed before the start of the program.

Application Procedure

An applicant will be considered for review if the following requirements are submitted and completed by the deadline:

  1. Complete application
  2. Personal statement
  3. Current resume
  4. Copy of current RN license in good standing
  5. Three letters of recommendation
  6. Official college transcripts from all institutions attended, whether or not a degree was earned

Once you submit our electronic application, please check the self-service portal to determine that all required application materials have been received.  During high application activity, it can take several business days to upload materials to applications. Call us at 617-521-2605 if you have questions about application materials.

Academic Records: Transcripts

Official transcripts for all courses completed (undergraduate and graduate) at regionally accredited institutions, whether or not a degree was awarded or regardless of when the courses were taken or if the courses are specific to the program you are applying to are required. This requirement includes courses which appear on another transcript as transfer or study abroad credit. If you attended a study abroad program and a separate transcript exists, send that as well. Educational documents should clearly indicate the degree and date awarded. 

If you earned a degree abroad, academic records must include end of year marks sheets for each year of attendance, not just final exam results or a copy of the degree. Educational documents should clearly indicate the degree and date awarded. Overseas post-secondary institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in the home country. Academic records in the native language and an official English translation (if needed) are required. English translations must be provided by someone other than the applicant, family member or friend. It may also be necessary for the applicant to submit an interpretation by a foreign credential services agency. Interpretations of foreign credentials by an evaluation service do not replace official academic records. These evaluations are assessments of the curriculum and are not accepted in lieu of official academic documents. Contact our office at 617-521-2605 to determine if this is needed. When you call, please be prepared to provide the name of the institution and country where the degree was earned.

The Office of Admission also accepts electronic transcripts from certain vendors including eScripSafe, Parchment and National Student Clearinghouse.

Standardized Tests

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Applicants whose first language is not English must submit official TOEFL scores taken within two years prior to the application deadline. The TOEFL requirement is based on native language, not citizenship. No other English proficiency exam will be accepted. The TOEFL is waived for applicants who have graduated at the bachelor's or master's level from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a post secondary institution abroad that is recognized by the Ministry of Education in the host country in English-speaking countries only. Official scores from ETS are required; copies of student score reports are not acceptable. The TOEFL code is 3761. Simmons is unable to accept electronic scores.

A minimum score of 570 (paper-based), 230 (computer-based), or 88 (internet-based) is requiredFurther information about TOEFL can be obtained by contacting the Educational Testing Service by telephone at 609-771-7670 or by visiting their website.


Three recommendations, written within six months of the deadline, are required. We do not accept recommendations from individuals who have a personal relationship with you (family members, friends, religious personnel or from politicians) since we need evaluations from individuals who can assess your academic ability and readiness to engage in graduate studies. If you recently earned an BSN degree, at least one recommendation should be from an instructor. Employers or supervisors, not staff who report to you, are the preferred professional references. Instructions for the recommendation process can be found within the application.

Admission Decisions

Admission decisions are sent via mail after the application deadline.

Enrollment Deposit

All accepted students who choose to enroll are required to submit a non-refundable $750 enrollment deposit by the date stated in the letter of admission. This deposit is applied to the first term bill. 

Deferred Entrance

An accepted student may request in writing to the Director of Admission a deferral of the entrance date for a maximum of one year. The student must indicate what he/she will do in the interim. Deferrals are not granted if the student plans/chooses to attend another institution. If the deferral is approved, a non-refundable enrollment deposit is due on the date stated in the original letter of admission to ensure enrollment for the future. 

If a student wishes to defer enrollment at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, they must obtain approval from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Reapplication Procedure

An applicant who wishes to re-apply should call the Office of Admission at 617-521-2605 to learn about this process. Official academic transcripts for courses completed since the initial application must be submitted. A reapplication fee is required and should be submitted with the new application. Application fee waivers are applicable only to one application.

If you require an F-1 visa to study in the U.S., you must be accepted and enrolled in a degree seeking program on a full time basis. The Dual Degree is not a full time program and thus F-1 visa holders are ineligible to apply to this program. Taking courses on a non-degree basis is not possible.


Tuition and fees

Tuition and fees at Simmons are updated annually each spring. They are assessed each semester based on the number of credits enrolled, the level of degree, and the particular program of study.

Health insurance

All students taking 9 or more credits are required by Massachusetts State law to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan or be covered by a health insurance plan with comparable coverage.

Upcoming Alumnae/i Events