Resources for White Allyship
Wondering what your role is in combating racism and oppression? Explore this section of our anti-racism resource page to find ways to support members of marginalized groups and how to use your privilege to help others. These resources are focused on being a White ally but the information could be extrapolated to being an ally for all marginalized groups: LGBTQ, spiritual diversity, accessibility issues, immigration status among others.
- These best friends created a wildly popular Google doc about how to be an ally to the black community: Wondering what other forms of Allyship you can do? Check out this guide created by friends to try to teach others on what it means to be an ally.
- Black Activists Wonder: Is Protesting Just Trendy for White People?: Explore what members of the Black community have to say about the current uptick of Allyship and how they wonder if it will last.
- Dear White People, This is What We Want You to Do: What's next for White allies? Here's what you can do.
- A Conversation With White People On Race | Op-Docs | The New York Times: Explore this video on White people speaking on race.
- Robin DiAngelo on "White Fragility": What is "White Fragility?"
- Why "I'm not racist" is only half the story | Robin DiAngelo | Big Think: Explore why just stating you aren't racist isn't enough.
- Tim Wise - The History of Whiteness: Check out the history of "whiteness."
- 100 Years of History of Racism: This video describes how US law and policies both public and private have led to the racial inequities and outcomes in for Blacks in wealth, housing, health and criminal justice.
- Justice in June: Two college friends compiled this resources list as a starting place for individuals trying to become better allies. Choose how much time you have each day to become more informed as step one to becoming an active ally to the black community. (Justice in June)
- Reckoning with white supremacy: Five fundamentals for white folks: Wondering how white supremacy connects with white privilege and the societal structure of the United States? Explore this resource. (Scalawag)
- 75 things white people can do for racial justice: Explore this list of helpful things white people can do to promote racial justice. (Medium)
- WHITE PEOPLE READ: READING LIST: This reading list provides an overview of racism and racial dynamics, specifically for white individuals.
- Matthew McConaughey asks the only question white people should be asking right now: What questions should white people be asking right now? Explore this article. (Yahoo Entertainment)
- A letter to my white friends: Read this open letter on how white silence is a mark of complicity. (Esquire)
- I am so Tired: Check out this piece of an individuals’ experience dealing with racial injustice and the exhaustion it can create.
- Here come the white people—A new antiracist movement takes flight: This article explores the role of white people in the current movement. (Boston Globe)