At Simmons, we know that hands-on experience helps guarantee skilled, confident graduates. Our students learn in our labs and classrooms, as well as health care facilities that are literally in our backyard.
Our close academic and clinical partnerships with Boston's world-renowned teaching hospitals and health facilities provide exceptional clinical experience and employment opportunities. School of Nursing students complete practicums and conduct research at more than 200 clinical sites, including Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston Children's Hospital, Tufts Medical Center, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and numerous other health care settings.
Many of our clinical and research partnerships are possible because of our location in Boston's Longwood Medical area, which provides opportunities to place students and graduates on the front lines of health care. And our [email protected] program extends our network of clinical partnerships to outstanding facilities around the country.
RN Clinical Preparation
- Students will be in clinical for approximately 600 hours by the end of the program.
- You'll have six group clinical rotations with a student to faculty ratio of 6:1.
- Clinical rotations include medical/surgical nursing, pediatrics, obstetrics, psychiatric nursing, and community health.
- Students participate in a final-semester Senior Clinical Capstone Experience. You will spend 2-3 shifts per week with an RN in a clinical setting to prepare you for independent, professional practice and develop the role of collaborating healthcare team member upon licensure.
Advanced Practice Clinical Preparation
- Over four semesters you'll complete 770 clinical hours.
- Before starting the first clinical experience in the community, students will have a chance to complete a full semester performing physicals and health assessment on paid patients. This experience takes place on campus, in nursing labs. Students are supervised by NP faculty.
- Clinical focuses on the primacy care setting across the lifespan, including pediatrics, women's health, adult and geriatric care.
- We provide students with personalized placements based on their professional goals and learning needs.
Simmons has more than 450 clinical affiliation agreements with Massachusetts and New England healthcare facilities. Below is a sample of just some of the sites where students participate in clinical:
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Boston Children's Hospital
- Boston Community and Neighborhood Health Centers
- Boston Health Care for the Homeless
- Boston Medical Center
- Brigham & Women's Hospital
- Brigham & Women's Faulkner Hospital
- Cambridge Health Alliance
- Commonwealth Care
- Compass Medical
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
- Dedham Medical Associates
- Dorchester House
- Element Care
- Emerald Physicians
- Family Doctors
- Harvard University Health Services
- Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Lahey Clinic
- Lowell Community Health Center
- Lynn Community Health Center
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Massachusetts Mental Health Center
- MinuteClinic – CVS
- MIT Health Services
- Mount Auburn Hospital
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- North Shore Community Health Center
- Pembroke Primary Care
- Pentucket Medical Associates
- Signature Medical Group
- South Shore Hospital
- South Shore Medical Center
- St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
- Steward Medical Group
- Sturdy Memorial Hospital
- Thundermist Community Health Center
- Tufts Medical Center
- UMass Memorial Medical Center
- VA Boston Healthcare System
- Visiting Nurse Association
- Winchester Hospital