At Simmons, we know that hands-on experience helps guarantee skilled, confident graduates. Our students learn in our labs and classrooms, as well as health care facilities that are literally in our backyard.
World class clinical training anchored in patient-centered values
- Our intensive clinical training hours requirements exceed many peer programs, giving our students a Our intensive clinical training hours requirements exceed many peer programs, giving our students a professional edge.
- Boston-based students have access to more than 850 clinical training sites, including world-class institutions like Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital, VA Boston Healthcare System, and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Students in our graduate online program complete clinical training in their communities nationwide, with over 6,000 sites, supported by a team of 20+ regional placement specialists.
- Our DNP program is designed for advanced practice nurses and nurse leaders, while the PhD in Health Professions Education develops educators to design and lead evidence-based curriculum.
RN Clinical Preparation
- Students will be in clinical for approximately 600 hours by the end of the program.
- You'll have seven group clinical rotations with a student to faculty ratio of 6:1.
- Clinical rotations include medical/surgical nursing, complex care, pediatrics, obstetrics, psychiatric nursing, and community health.
- Students participate in a final-semester Senior Clinical Capstone Experience. You will spend 2-3 shifts per week with an RN in a clinical setting to prepare you for independent, professional practice and develop the role of collaborating healthcare team member upon licensure.
MSN, FNP Clinical Preparation
- You will complete a minimum of 672 clinical hours by the end of your program.
- Clinical focuses on the primary care setting across the lifespan, including pediatrics, women's health, behavioral health, adult and geriatric care.
- Your dedicated Clinical Placement Specialist provides you with a team-based approach to clinical placement, and will work collaboratively with you throughout the clinical placement process.