Simmons Distinguished Scholar Award
The Simmons Distinguished Scholar Award is a competitive merit award that recognizes the best and brightest students interested in a transformative education at Simmons University.
This is a prestigious and competitive Simmons scholarship offered to students with exceptional academic achievements, a strong commitment to their community, and a passion for creating positive change in society. Scholars become part of a dynamic campus community that offers a multitude of opportunities for personal and intellectual growth, cultural exploration, and social engagement.
This scholarship is awarded for the duration of a four-year period of full-time undergraduate study, and supersedes any previously awarded merit scholarship.
Students applying for the Simmons Distinguished Scholar Award must meet the following criteria:
- Apply as a first-year student for the fall semester
- A minimum GPA of 3.50
- A record of taking college prep, AP, or IB Courses
- English Proficiency is required for non-native English speakers.
- Standardized test scores (optional) of 28+ ACT or 1300+ SAT
- Community Involvement: Applicants should showcase a history of active engagement in their community through volunteer work, leadership roles, or other forms.
- Passion for the Field: Applicants should demonstrate a passion for their chosen field of study. This passion should be evident in their academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and resume.
- Students who meet the criteria above are often also interested in the Honors Program at Simmons.
The application consists of a formal essay in response to the prompt below, as well as a resume including activities and involvements. Students should submit their essays and resume in PDF or Word Doc via email with the subject line "Simmons Distinguished Scholar Award application" by December 1. Each page of the document should include the student's full name and date of birth.
It is the student's responsibility to submit a working file in the proper format (PDF or Word) as we will not convert or accept incompatible files (i.e. Google Docs, Pages, etc.)
Formal Essay (of no more than 300-500 words): Write an essay in which you describe your leadership style, giving specific examples to show what kinds of experiences have crafted you as a leader, and what kind of leader you think you will become at Simmons.
Finalists chosen for scholarship consideration will be required to complete an interview in February.
Applicants must complete and submit both their scholarship application and their admission application to the University by December 1.
Finalists for scholarship consideration will be notified in mid-January. Recipients will be notified by March 1.