For Online Students
General Financial Aid Information
For the Nursing@Simmons, SW@Simmons, BehavioarAnalysis@Simmons, MBA@Simmons, HealthCareMBA@Simmons, and MPH@Simmons online programs, we process financial aid on what is called a borrower-based academic year (BBAY). This allows Simmons to define the start of the aid year for each student and gives more flexibility and eligibility with regard to federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans. The length of a BBAY varies by program, but must meet the federal minimum of 30 weeks in length. Therefore:
- Students enrolled in Nursing@Simmons, SW@Simmons, or BehaviorAnalysis@Simmons are awarded financial aid under a 2 semester BBAY.
- Students enrolled in MBA@Simmons, HealthCareMBA@Simmons, and MPH@Simmons are awarded financial aid under a 3 semester BBAY.
As a graduate student, you may qualify for up to $20,500 in the Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan per borrower-based year through the federal government. This means students generally qualify for up to $10,250 or $6833 per semester depending on their program.
To be eligible for federal financial aid, you must meet all these requirements:
- You must have been accepted to a degree-seeking program
- You are enrolled at least half-time per semester as defined by the Office of the Registrar, which means taking a minimum of 5 credits per term
- You must not be in default on a Federal Direct Stafford or PLUS Loan or need to pay a federal grant overpayment
- You are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- You are within your aggregate limit of Direct Stafford Loan borrowing. The aggregate a graduate student can receive is $138,500 in the Direct Stafford Loan.
- You must have submitted a valid aid application (see below)
How to Apply
To apply for federal aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The school code for Simmons University is 002208.
*Note: You must include your SSN or alien registration number on your application for admission in order for Simmons to receive your FAFSA. If you did not include it in your application, please contact our front desk by phone at 617-521-2001 to verbally provide your SNN or securely send us a copy of your SSN card.
If you qualify for educational benefits through the Veterans Affairs Office, please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility as soon as possible. This will allow us to include your benefits in your award packet. Please visit the Veterans' Benefits page for more information.
The Office of Student Financial Services encourages financial aid applicants to explore all possible sources of assistance.
NOTE: We strongly advise you NOT to pay any scholarship search firm. It is more than likely that if an organization is asking for a payment to help you search for scholarships, they are not providing a legitimate service.