Submitting Theses and Dissertations
The Simmons Library and University Archives collect theses, dissertations, and similar academic capstone works completed by students as part of the educational requirements for master's and doctoral degrees. These works are important to Simmons University, reflecting the strength and innovation of its students, and are valuable to researchers and scholars.
Submission to University Archives and Library
In addition to requirements specific to their respective program, each student completing a thesis, dissertation, or similar work is to submit:
- One unbound copy to their academic department office for transfer to the University Archives;
- One electronic copy, an abstract, and an electronically signed Submission Agreement for inclusion in Scholar@Simmons, the Simmons University Institutional Repository.
Copyright and Restrictions Information
- In most cases, thesis/dissertation copyright belongs to the student. Appropriate copyright notice should appear on the bottom of the thesis title page, e.g. "© 2018, Sally Q. Simmons".
- Simmons University will hold copyright only if research for the thesis is performed with financial support from funds administered by the University. The appropriate copyright notice would be "© 2018, Simmons University".
- On rare occasions, a thesis or dissertation may contain information that must be restricted for a period of time, including personal information about third parties. If this is the case, please contact the University Archives to discuss specific restrictions.
Departmental requirements for title pages may vary, but should include the following information
- the title of the thesis;
- the name of the author;
- the degree to be awarded at Simmons University;
- copyright statement;
- and the names and signatures of the appropriate faculty members.
Submission to ProQuest
The University Archives and Library encourage students to submit an electronic copy and/or abstract of their thesis/dissertation to ProQuest. Additional information about submission is available here.
With any questions about submission of theses and dissertations, please contact the University Archives at x2441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.