Services for Faculty and Staff
The Simmons University Library is committed to the support of teaching and research and offers specific services to faculty and staff.
Support for Teaching
Research and Instruction Librarians are available to deliver in-class instruction sessions. Schedule a session by contacting a Research and Instruction Librarian.
- Introduce your students to discipline-specific resources to support their learning
- Present the peer-reviewed resources available to them
- Offer help with effective, high-impact search techniques to improve their research
- Assist students with the use of general and discipline-specific databases, journals, and other resources
- Familiarize students with citation styles and methods
- Develop innovative ways for students to present their research and learning, including zines.
Place books, video, and audio on reserve. Students can check out the materials at the Library Service Desk. Electronic articles can be linked directly from Moodle or your course syllabus.
The library manages a permanent course reserves collection, and materials remain on reserve until the instructor requests removal. Instructors are asked to add materials four weeks before the start of the semester. Materials can be removed anytime.
Booking Media for Classroom Use
Instructors who wish to play audio or visual media from the library’s collection during class can do so. Place the item on reserve. Book the item for your class by searching for the item in the Library Catalog and then click the “Book Item” button above the title.
Note: Please book materials by 4:00PM on the weekday before the date you wish to pick them up to ensure availability.
Support of Faculty Research
Make an appointment to consult with a Research and Instruction Librarian about resources available to support your research. Resources and topics include, but are not limited to, finding and evaluating new resources, developing data management plans, training on emerging technologies, and getting assistance with searching specific topics.
The library has created Faculty Guides to support teaching. Topics include copyright compliance, finding media, research data management, and more.
Faculty and staff can borrow materials from the library by presenting their Simmons University ID at the Service Desk. Contact the Service Desk at [email protected] or 617-521-2780 with questions about borrowing, renewing, or returning materials.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Materials for teaching or research that the library does not own may be available from another library. Log in to the ILL system to place a request. Eligible ILL materials can also be renewed in the ILL system.
Access to Cultural Institutions
Simmons faculty and staff can gain access to two nearby cultural institutions.
The Museum of Fine Arts: All Simmons community members can enter the museum free of charge with their Simmons University ID.
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum: All Simmons community members can enter the museum free of charge with their Simmons University ID. Guest passes are available at the Library Service Desk and admit up to four people per pass at the discounted rate of $5.00 each. Guest passes are valid for general admission only and are not applicable for discounted admission to special events, shopping, dining, concerts, lectures, or any other public programs.
Other benefits include:
- Discounts on gallery tours led by museum teachers
- Free self-guided gallery visits
- Free tickets to select public programs, including Third Thursdays and lectures
- $10 off the Individual and Friend levels of membership
- 15% discount on rental events held at the museum