Photoduplication Policy and Fees
The Simmons University Archives provides a range of photoduplication services to its patrons. Archives staff will handle all reproduction of materials. Orders will be filled as soon as possible, depending on the size of the request and the availability of staff.
Conservation concerns may dictate appropriate methods of duplication for some materials. The final decision as to whether or not an item is in a condition to be copied will be made by the Archivist. The full text of a book, pamphlet, diary or notebook, or an entire manuscript/archival collection will be copied only with the authorization of and at the discretion of the Archivist.
Researchers may order photocopies, digital scans of photographs, photographic prints, or audio-visual transfers.
- Standard letter- or legal-size black and white single-sided photocopies will be produced.
- Digital scans of photographs up to 11" x 14" in size are produced by Archives staff in accordance to the needs of the researcher. Scanned images can be up to 600 dpi, in color or black and white, and in either JPEG or TIFF format. Whenever possible, files are delivered to researchers by e-mail; in some instances large files will be burned to a CD for delivery.
- Prints of photographs are produced in-house whenever possible. High-quality or over-size photo-graphic reproductions and/or any transfers of audio-visual materials are processed by an outside firm. Archives staff will assist researchers with the coordination of these orders.
Charges and Fees
Simmons University Faculty / Staff / Student / Alumnae/i:
- Photocopies: No Charge *
- Thesis/Dissertation Copy: No Charge *
- Digital Photo Scans: No Charge *
- In-House Photo Print: No Charge *
- Out-of-House Photo Print Cost of print(s)
- A/V Transfer: Cost of transfer(s)
* At the Archivist's discretion, large requests for copies and/or scans may incur standard reproduction charges
- Photocopies: $ .25 / pg. for up to 50 pgs.; $ .30/pg. for over 50 pgs.
- Thesis/Dissertation Copy: $25.00
- Digital Photo Scans: $ 20.00 / image
- In-House Photo Print: $ 10.00 / print
- Out-of-House Photo Print Cost of print(s) + $ 25.00 / print
- A/V Transfer: Cost of transfer(s) + $ 25.00 / transfer
Mailed requests will incur a $ 5.00 handling fee. Express/Overnight mail orders incur an additional $ 20.00 shipping charge.
The one-time-only publication of images for external users incurs a charge of $100.00 / image.
Advance payment for all requests is required. Cash or check (payable to: Simmons University Archives) is accepted. Receipts will be provided on request.
Notices and Policies
- RECEIPT OF REPRODUCED MATERIALS DOES NOT GRANT EITHER COPYRIGHT OR PROPERTY RIGHT, NOR DOES IT CONSTITUTE PERMISSION TO PUBLISH IN EXCESS OF "FAIR USE" OR TO DISPLAY MATERIALS.
- NOTICE CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or other reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
Simmons University reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
- PHOTOGRAPH ALTERATION POLICY
To protect the credibility of Simmons University, and to prevent any unfavorable publicity, and recognizing the value of visual images in all aspects of the University's administrative, teaching, and research activities, the photographs and visual images of Simmons University may be altered through physical/electronic means only to enhance the technical qualities of the image for best reproduction, including cropping and sizing for design and layout, while ensuring the integrity of the content.
Any alterations made to original photographs or images, including tinting, and the digital addition or deletion of one or more visual elements that substantially changes the content of the image, are to be acknowledged in the accompanying caption or label, with a reference to the original image.
- PERMISSION TO PUBLISH
The rules governing use of records are fully stated in the Simmons University Archives' Records Request and Regulations for Use of the Archives form. With some internal Simmons University exceptions, permission to publish, exhibit, broadcast, or quote from manuscripts or other records (including visual images) in the Simmons University Archives requires written permission. All materials must be properly cited per the Simmons University Archives' Citation Information form.
It is the researcher's responsibility to request these forms if he/she has not already read and/or signed them.
Updated January 2008