Students may pursue a design concentration focusing on print, web, multimedia, or a combination.
Requirements Outside the Communications Department:
May be taken concurrently with Steps One through Three.
The following three studio art courses:
- ART 111 Introduction to Studio Art: Drawing
- ART 112 Introduction to Studio Art: Color
- COMM/ART 138 The Poetry of Photography
Plus one of the following courses to satisfy the prerequisite in art history:
- ART 141 Introduction to Art History: Egypt to Mannerism
- ART 142 Introduction to Art History: Baroque to the 20th Century
- ART 249 History of Photography
- Design History elsewhere with the consent of a design advisor.
Step One: The Communications Core Requirements:
The major requires three core courses that explore the areas of media and society, writing and editing, visual culture and the technology currently driving emerging media. A blend of theory and hands-on, practical projects prepares students for further developmental work in one of the department's concentrations of study.
- COMM 121 Visual Communications
- COMM 122 Media Writing Bootcamp
- COMM 124 Media, Messages, & Society
Students should complete the three core courses by the end of the second year of study in a four-year program. A student should declare their major at the end of the sophomore year. In this recommended sequence, the student would complete the core and then choose a track to declare at this time.
Step Two: four required courses
- COMM 210 Introduction to Graphic Design
- COMM 240 Intermediate Graphic Design I: Typography
- COMM 248 Intermediate Graphic Design II: Type and Image
- COMM 340 Advanced Design
Step Three: two electives, at least one at the 300-level
- COMM 244 Web Design
- COMM 246 Digital Imaging for Design
- COMM 262 Media Convergence
- COMM 320 Media and the First Amendment
- COMM 323 Digital Cultures: Communication and Social Media
- COMM 328 Special Topics (when appropriate)
- COMM 333 Web 2
Step Four: COMM 344 Senior Seminar/Storytelling
Step Five: Independent Learning