Religion and Daily Life
Prayer and reflection space for all students is available on both the residence and academic campuses.
- Residence Campus: Smith Basement
- Academic Campus: Office of Spiritual Life, Room C-230E, open at all times.
Quiet Floor in South Hall: Designed for students who prefer a quiet atmosphere, this floor generally maintains quiet for sixteen hours per day. Floor members decide the specific hours.
Wellness Community in South Hall: Supports and promotes a healthy, balanced lifestyle, an ongoing process that is different for each individual.
Hillel at Simmons is your center for Jewish life on campus. Simmons Hillel offers a variety of social, educational, cultural and religious programming throughout the year. Simmons Hillel is staffed part-time by Simmons Hillel Director. Miriam is available to meet with students regarding personal or religious issues, as well as just to chat. She is able to help you arrange attending Boston area Shabbat services, signing up to prepare your own kosher meals and so much more!
Simmons Hillel works with students to make plans for High Holiday service attendance and works with Simmons faculty and staff to ensure sensitivity of holiday observance throughout the year. All details about holiday observance at Simmons can be found on the Simmons Religious Observance policy.
Keeping Kosher on Campus
Kosher meals are not currently offered in the Simmons dining halls (Bartol / Fens). A residential student interested in kosher meals can work with staff to arrange access to the kosher kitchen, located on the basement level of Evans Hall on the Residence Campus, for her own meal preparation. Residential students interested in preparing their own kosher meals should contact the Simmons Hillel Director for details.
During Passover, Simmons Hillel works with Simmons Dining to offer a catered kosher for Passover meal plan. Sealed boxed lunches and a buffet dinner are offered during Passover.
Private bathrooms, hand-held shower heads, or bathtubs are currently available on the residence campus as follows:
- 1st & 2nd Floor — Hand-held shower head
- 2nd Floor — Bathtub
- 1st - 4th Floors — Private bathrooms
- 1st - 4th Floors — Hand-held shower heads
- 2nd, 3rd & 4th Floor — Bathtub
- 1st Floor
- 1st - 4th floors — Private bathrooms
- 1st Floor — Hand-held shower head
- 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Floor — Bathtub
Simmons Dining provides halal hamburgers and hot dogs on a daily basis at three locations:
- Bartol Dining Hall @ Three Squares; the Fens Grille; and at the Quadside Cafe.
- During Ramadan, Simmons provides a special Ramadan Table in Bartol, serving halal meat dishes every night at sunset. The Simmons Islamic Society (SIS) reserves a room in Bartol for sunset prayer. Dining Services also provides breakfasts (suhoor) for fasting students, which can be obtained the night before and ordered online.
All Women Swimming
This can be arranged with the Director of Athletics on Sundays whenever possible.