Process and Timeline
In order to participate in the selection, you will need to have a $250 housing deposit on file in Student Financial Services. This deposit should already be on file if you currently live on campus; however, it is used to pay for charges associated with lost or unreturned keys, or damages to your room. If this deposit falls below $250, repayment of the difference will be necessary to participate in the housing selection.
Students returning from study abroad or a leave of absence (LOA) most likely have a deposit on file, while students that withdrew to live off campus will most likely need to submit a new deposit. However, due to the fewer number of available spaces on campus for 2019-2020, commuter students who have been placed on the housing waitlist will not need to place a housing deposit unless they have been assigned and accepted a space on campus. Please contact SFS at 617-521-2001 if you are unsure of your deposit amount.
In the event that there are more students that want housing than available spaces, we will issue lottery cards based on class status and random lottery number generation. Students who did not receive a lottery number will be placed on a waitlist to be housed pending availability.
The class statuses for housing selection are:
|Status 1||87 or more credits||Rising Seniors|
|Status 2||57-86 credits||Rising Juniors|
|Status 3||27-56 credits||Rising Sophomores|
|Status 4||26 or fewer credits||2nd Semester 1st years|
Please note: Residents that are seeking to live in Theme Communities must complete the Theme Community Application by Friday, February 25th at 11:59pm. All applicants will be notified no later than March 11th of the status in the community. All selected members must attend Theme Community Housing Selection on Tuesday, March 19th at 6:00pm.
It is important to remember that statuses correspond to your Selection night. Statuses are based solely on credits and not on whether you are graduating, or how many years you have been at Simmons, or GPA. Transfer Credits are included; however, AP credits are not. Your credits/status will reflect current classes taken Spring 2019. Once a student has been placed in a status level, all numbers within that status are assigned at random. Students who fill out the undergraduate housing application by February 11th will be issued lottery numbers for selection.
Updates of open rooms will be posted online after each housing selection night. For example, all available rooms left after rising senior housing selection will be posted online the next day.
Housing Selection Deadlines
- February 11, 2019 at 11:59pm — Deadline to submit application in order to receive a priority lottery number for 2019-2020 Housing Selection. If you are planning to study abroad for the Fall 2019 semester, but have not yet been accepted into a program, you may select housing as usual with the expectation that you will promptly inform the Office of Residence Life of your acceptance into a program for the fall.
- February 11, 2019 at 11:59pm — Deadline for requesting withdrawal from housing for the 2019-2020 academic year. If you are planning to apply to study abroad for the Fall 2019 semester, please submit a housing withdrawal form with "Pending Study Abroad" as your reason; a withdrawal will not be processed until you confirm with the Office of Residence Life that you will definitely be abroad in the fall
- February 15, 2019 at 11:59 pm — Deadline for requesting an special accommodation for the 2019-2020 academic year
- February 25, 2019 at 11:59pm — Deadline to submit application in order to participate in Theme Community Selection Night: Wellness Community Application and Arts and Activism Application
- May 1, 2019 at 11:59pm — Deadline to inform the Office of Residence Life that your "Pending Study Abroad" has been confirmed and you will be withdrawing from housing in the fall
Please note: Students interested in Theme Communities must also complete the Returning Student Housing Selection application by February 11, 2019.
Information Sessions for Students
Especially for students new to the process!
- Wednesday, February 27, 2019 — Quadside, Smith Hall, 5:00-6:00pm
Information & Floor Plan Tabling
- Tuesday, March 12, 2019— Bartol Hall, 5:30-7:30pm
- Wednesday, March 13, 2019— Bartol Hall, 5:30-7:30pm
- Thursday, March 14, 2019— Bartol Hall, 5:30-7:30pm
- Monday, March 18, 2019— Bartol Hall, 5:30-7:30pm
Designed for second semester first-years and rising sophomores to find a roommate
- Wednesday, March 13, 2019 — Simmons Hall Lounge, 7:00-8:00pm
Tuesday, March 19, 2019 — Alumnae Hall, 6:00-9:00pm
- Theme Community - 6:00-7:00pm
- Rising Seniors - 7:30-9:00pm
Wednesday, March 20, 2019 — Alumnae Hall, 6:00-9:00pm
- Rising Juniors - 6:00-7:00pm
- Rising Sophomores/2nd Semester First-Years - 7:30-9:00 pm