Gregory Maguire, "Wicked" Author, to address academic conference in children's literature about "Literary Slipstreams"
BOSTON (June 11, 2012) — More than 400 people are expected to attend the 39th Annual Children's Literature Association Conference hosted by Simmons College, June 14-16, featuring renown author Gregory Maguire, in the Main College Building, 300 The Fenway in Boston.
Maguire, an alumnus and former Simmons children's literature professor whose book Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West was adapted into a hit Broadway play, will deliver the distinguished Francelia Butler Lecture, Friday, June 15.
The annual conference brings together a cadre of scholars, critics, professors, students, librarians, teachers and institutions dedicated to the academic study of literature for children. This year's gathering, titled "Literary Slipstream," explores themes of transition related to children's and young adult literature, examining the history of the genre, its current state and future.
Among the guests attending the conference are Phoenix Award Recipient Karen Hesse, author of the novel Letters from Rifka, Roger Sutton (The Horn Book), Nick Clark (curator, The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art) Jo Knowles (author of four young adult novels, most recently See You at Harry's), Karsten Knight (author of Wildefire), Ellen Wittlinger (Printz award winner and author of Hard Love), and Jeannine Atkins (Borrowed Names: Poems about Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madam C. J. Walker, Marie Curie, and their Daughters).
Photo Credit: Andy Newman
- Sports Icon and Humanitarian Billie Jean King is Simmons College’s 2014 Commencement Speaker, May 9
February 27, 2014
- Simmons College to Host Public Forums on National Health Care Reform, Feb. 25, April 3 & 14
February 20, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents: "Like Water: Photographs by Mary Lang"
February 19, 2014
- Simmons School of Social Work, the First School of Social Work in the Nation, Launches Online Master’s Program
February 18, 2014
- Simmons College Joins Mount Holyoke and Smith for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Program Focused on Emerging Women Leaders
January 29, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight