Health Professions Education (CAGS)

About the Program

Our Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) Health Professions Education is carefully designed for students who hold a master's degree in a health professions specialty. All classes are conducted online, allowing students to continue their careers while being certified. Learn more about the CAGS program.

How to Apply

To get started on your application, click the link below:

Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) Health Professions Education Fall 2021

Application Requirements

Applicants must have a Master's degree or higher academic degree in a health professions specialty from a regionally accredited US post-secondary institution. Practical experience within the healthcare arena within the past three years is also required.

An overall GPA of 3.0 in undergraduate and graduate studies. GRE (scores from within five years prior to the application deadline) sent by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) directly to the Office of Admission are required. We are unable to accept electronic scores or copies of student score reports. Allow 4-6 weeks for such official scores to be received by the Office of Admission. Simmons GRE code is 3761.

Application Procedure

The application deadline for the CAGS in Health Professions Education is June 1 for fall admission. An applicant will be considered for review if the following requirements are submitted and completed by the deadline:

  1. Complete application
  2. Personal statement
  3. Current resume
  4. Three letters of recommendation
  5. Official college transcripts from all institutions attended, whether or not a degree was earned

Once you submit our electronic application, please check the self-service portal to determine that all required application materials have been received.

Academic Records

Official transcripts for all courses completed (undergraduate and graduate) at regionally accredited institutions,whether or not a degree was awarded or regardless of when the courses were taken or if the courses are specific to the program you are applying to are required. This requirement includes courses which appear on another transcript as transfer or study abroad credit. If you attended a study abroad program and a separate transcript exists, send that as well. Educational documents should clearly indicate the degree and date awarded.

If you earned a degree abroad, academic records must include end of year marks sheets for each year of attendance, not just final exam results or a copy of the degree. Educational documents should clearly indicate the degree and date awarded. Overseas post-secondary institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in the home country. Academic records in the native language and an official English translation (if needed) are required. English translations must be provided by someone other than the applicant, family member or friend. It may also be necessary for the applicant to submit an interpretation by a foreign credential services agency. Interpretations of foreign credentials by an evaluation service do not replace official academic records. These evaluations are assessments of the curriculum and are not accepted in lieu of official academic documents. Contact our office at 617-521-2605 to determine if this is needed. When you call, please be prepared to provide the name of the institution and country where the degree was earned.

The Office of Admission also accepts electronic transcripts from certain vendors including eSCRIP-SAFE, Parchment and National Student Clearinghouse.

Standardized Test Scores

Applicants whose first language is not English must submit an official TOEFL score from the Educational Testing Service (ETS), taken within two years prior to the application deadline. The official score report must be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the office. Copies of student score reports are not acceptable. The Simmons TOEFL number is 3761.

The TOEFL requirement is based on native language, not citizenship status. No other English proficiency exam will be accepted. The TOEFL is waived for applicants who have graduated at the bachelor's or master's level from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a post secondary institution abroad that is recognized by the Ministry of Education in the host country in English- speaking countries only.

The required scores are: 600 (paper based), 250 (computer based) or 100 (internet based). Further information about this exam can be obtained by directly contacting TOEFL; Educational Testing Service; P.O. Box 6151; Princeton, NJ; 08541-6151; Telephone: 215-750-8050 or their website.


Three recommendations, written within six months of the deadline, are required. We do not accept recommendations from individuals who have a personal relationship with you (family members, friends, religious personnel) or politicians since we need evaluations from individuals who can assess your academic ability to engage in graduate studies. Instructions for the online recommendation process can be found within the application.

Enrollment Deposit

All accepted applicants are required to submit a non-refundable $750 enrollment deposit. This deposit is applied to the first term bill.

Deferred Entrance

An accepted student may request, in writing, to the Director of Admission a deferral of the entrance date for a maximum of one year. The student must indicate what he/she will do in the interim. If granted a deferral, a non- refundable enrollment deposit is required by the date stated in the letter of admission to ensure enrollment.

Reapplication Procedure

An individual who wishes to re-apply should call the Office of Admission at 617-521-2605 for details. All re-applicants are required to submit a new electronic application and any official academic transcripts for courses completed since the initial application. A reapplication fee is required.

If you require an F-1 visa to study in the U.S., you must be accepted to and enrolled in a degree seeking program on a full time basis. The CAGS program is not offered on a full time basis, thus individuals requiring an F-1 visa are not eligible to apply. Taking courses as a non-degree student is not possible.

If you hold an H visa, please contact the Office of Admission via email or at 617-521-2605 to determine if you are eligible to apply. Be certain to tell us what type of H visa you hold and when/where you obtained your bachelor's and master's degrees.


Tuition and fees

Tuition and fees at Simmons are updated annually each spring. They are assessed each semester based on the number of credits enrolled, the level of degree, and the particular program of study.

Health insurance

All students taking 9 or more credits are required by Massachusetts State law to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan or be covered by a health insurance plan with comparable coverage.

Contact us

Questions? Contact us via email or at 617-521-2605. We're happy to schedule visits and campus tours