- School of Nursing
- BSN Boston University
- MSN Boston College
- CAGS in Health Professions Education, Simmons
- Registered Nurse in MA
- Registered Psych Clinical Nurse Specialist
- ANA Certified Clinical Specialist in Adult Mental Health
- PMHCNS-BC [Psychiatric Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist, Board Certified] since 1982
After many years in an advanced practice nursing role in various settings [outpatient mental health center, HMO, day treatment, start up mental health consultation & utilization review firm, consultation to BC/BS and other insurers] with various populations- adults, elders, children & their caregivers; I transitioned to teaching.
Area of Expertise
- Adult mental health
What I Teach
I've been teaching Mental Health nursing at Simmons for 14 years in the classroom and prior to this in clinical settings. My focus on recognition of potential disorders and responding to mental health issues in a supportive and psychoeducational manner; and helping students apply the nursing process in this specialty area of nursing.
I volunteer as a co-facilitator in an ongoing support and psychoeducational multifamily group. Members have a family member experiencing ongoing issues with psychotic illnesses.
- Compassion, self compassion in nursing education
- Christoffersen, J, Barron, A., Lynch, M., & Caroline, H. (2010). Integrating Psychosocial Skills into Medical-Surgical Curriculum in a Baccalaureate Nursing Program, Journal of Nursing Education, 49 (10) p.573.
- Presentation “The Use of Simulation In Enhancing Students’ Understanding and Comfort in Navigating Complex Psychosocial Situations” at Rhode Island College of Nursing Faculty Simulation Conference in May 2010.
- Presentation “Stress Management and Self Care” at the Massachusetts National Alliance for Mental Illness Conference in October 2013
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association