Summary Findings of SSW Graduate Employment Survey for Class of 2016
The annual SSW employment survey was sent to all 2016 MSW grads for whom the school had a current email address. There were 66 respondents. Approximately six months post-graduation, in Mid-November of 2016, the survey was sent.
Highlights of the survey include:
- 58% work in the greater Boston area; 84% work in MA.
- 86% of those employed as a social worker are working full-time; 12% are working part-time.
- Primary fields of practice:
- Mental health and substance abuse services (47%)
- Child Welfare and home based family services (17%)
- Health and Elder services (21%)
- School Social work (5%)
- Most common job functions for the new grads are therapist or counselor (44%), case manager (20%), advocate and group worker (8%).
- 88% receive LICSW supervision
- By mid-November, nearly 80% were employed in social work.
- Most helpful resources in landing a job:
- SSW faculty (77%) or advisor (49%)
- On-line job listings (88%)
- Career Education Center workshops and counseling (54%)
- The median salary stated is $46,000. Of the 66 respondents who listed a salary, 31% earn salaries higher than the median.
- Over 95% describe their jobs as helping to advance their career goals and providing them with opportunities to use skills learned at Simmons SSW.
Licensing Exam (LCSW)
- By November 72% had taken the LCSW exam
- 98% passed the exam.