Staying in the Relationship
Many survivors choose not to leave for various reasons. These may include a lack of resources and support, increased threat of violence, fear of consequences to self or partner or children, religious or family beliefs, hope that the partner will change, and/or love for the partner. If the survivor chooses to stay, a safety plan will include some of the following:
- An escape plan in case violence escalates
- Identification of "safe" people for support
- Knowledge of legal rights
- Knowledge of contact person at local domestic violence program.
- Preparation of a packed bag with clothes, extra keys, important documents and money in a safe place
- Possible attendance at a support group for survivors of intimate partner abuse