Doctor of Nursing Practice: D.N.P.
Susan M Duty, MSN, ANP BC, Sc.D
Susan M Duty, MSN, ANP BC, Sc.D
Susan M Duty, MSN, ANP BC, Sc.D
- Susan M Duty, MSN, ANP BC, Sc.D
- Professor Currently on Sabbatical
- Associate Professor of Nursing (graduate nursing)
- 300 The Fenway - S-314 Boston, MA 02115USA
Dr. Susan Duty is an associate professor in the nursing program at Simmons College; has been at Simmons College for the past 10 years. She is certified as an Adult Nurse Practitioner with specialization in Occupational Health.
In addition to her teaching responsibilities at Simmons, Susan works clinically at South Shore Hospital as a Nurse Research Scientist. Susan obtained her doctoral degree in occupational epidemiology from the Harvard School of Public Health in 2002 and has a research agenda exploring environmental exposures to plasticizers. She has many peer reviewed publications has presented her work regionally, nationally and internationally. She has more recently extended her scholarly activity into clinical research translation aimed at reducing 30-day readmissions, enhancing mammography compliance, improving satisfaction with patient care and reducing hospital acquired adverse outcomes.
Grant funding has been secured from highly competitive National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety, the National Institute for Environmental Health and Safety, as well as from the Simmons College President's Fund and from private foundations like the Passport Foundation and the New England Deaconess Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association.
Dr. Duty is a member of the Massachusetts Organization of Nurse Executives Research Council. Dr. Duty serves as a research reviewer for many top tier journals. Dr. Duty received The Theresa LaPlante Award for Excellence in Administration from Sigma Theta Tau and served as Vice President and now President-Elect of the Theta-at-large Chapter at Simmons College of Sigma Theta Tau International.
- BSN University of Massachusetts, Boston
- MS Simmons College
- SM and ScD Harvard University School of Public Health
PublicationsPublications in past 5 years
• Paul J, Jordan R, Duty S. 2012. Improving satisfaction with care and reducing length of stay in an obstetrical triage unit using a nurse-midwife managed model of care. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health in press.
• Duty SM, Mendonca K, Hauser R, Calafat AM, Ye X, Meeker JD, Ackerman R, Cullinane J, Faller J, Ringer S. 2013. Potential sources of bisphenol A in the neonatal intensive care unit. Pediatrics doi:10.1542/peds.2012-1380.
• K. Mendonca, R. Hauser, A. M. Calafat, T. E. Arbuckle & S. M. Duty (2012). Bisphenol A concentrations in maternal breastmilk and infant urine Int Arch Occup Environ Health; DOI 10.1007/s00420-012-0834-9
• Elizabeth Scott, Susan Duty, Maureen Callahan. A Pilot Study: Isolation of Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA from Environmental Surfaces in the Home. American Journal of Infection Control. 2008: 36(6), 458-460
• Rachel Kwapniewski, Sarah Kozaczka, Russ Hauser, Manori J. Silva, Antonia M. Calafat, Susan M. Duty. 2008. Occupational exposure to dibutyl phthalate among manicurists. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 50(6): 705-718.
• Xibiao Ye, Frank H. Pierik, Russ Hauser, Susan Duty, Jrgen Angerer, Melissa M. Park, Alex Burdorf, Albert Hofman, Vincent WV Jaddoe, Johan P Mackenbach, Eric AP Steegers, Henning Tiemeier, Matthew P. Longnecker. 2008. Urinary metabolite concentrations of organophosphorous pesticides, bisphenol A, and phthalates among pregnant women in Rotterdam, the Netherlands: The Generation R Study. Environmental Research. 108:260-267. doi:10.1016/j.envres.2008.07.014
• Scott E, Duty SM, McCue K. 2008. A critical evaluation of MRSA and other target bacteria on commonly touched household surfaces in relation to household demographics. American Journal of Infection Control. 37(6):447-53. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2008.12.001
Presentations in past 5 years
- Jocelyn Loftus, Charlene Berube, Linda Moniz, Terry Buttaro, Colette Dieujuste, Susan Duty. ‘Evidence-Based Policy Development can guide Admission and Academic Progression Decisions in a Baccalaureate Nursing Program'. 35th Annual National Conference on Professional Nursing Education and Development: Creating Jazz, Transforming Exchanges in Education and Practice. Kansas City, MO. Poster Session October 16-18, 2008
- Susan Duty and Pam DeMoucell. ‘Combining education, awareness and technology to reduce hospital acquired pressure ulcers'. 35th Annual National Conference on Professional Nursing Education and Development: Creating Jazz, Transforming Exchanges in Education and Practice. Kansas City, MO. Oral Presentation October 16-18, 2008
- Susan Duty. ‘The usefulness of personal response systems (‘clickers') in developing critical thinking skills among nursing students'. 35th Annual National Conference on Professional Nursing Education and Development: Creating Jazz, Transforming Exchanges in Education and Practice. Kansas City, MO. Poster Session October 16-18, 2008
- Jocelyn Loftus and Susan Duty, "Barriers to success in nursing and implications for minority students." Hawaii International Conference on Education, Oahu Hawaii
- Leslie Leveille and Susan Duty. ‘Mammogram Submission Compliance And Its Effect On Diagnostic Interventions. Women's Health 2010: The 18th Annual Congress. Poster session March 26-27, 2010.
- Susan M Duty, Kaitlin Mendonca, Russ Hauser, Antonia M Calafat, Xiaoyun Ye, John D Meeker, Robin Ackerman, Steven Ringer, Judi Cullinane, Josephine Faller. "Medical devices and nutritional intake as possible sources of Bisphenol A exposure among Infants in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit". National
Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioner's 33rd Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX. March 28, 2012
- Donna Chase, Susan Duty, Judy Beal. Academic Practice Partnerships for Transformational Leadership Development and Research Translation. ANCC National Magnet Conference, Los Angeles, CA. October 10-12, 2012.
- The Excellence in Clinical Practice Award in Primary Health Care Nursing, Occupational Health Concentration, Simmons College, May 1999.
- The Scholarly Excellence Award, awarded by the School for Health Studies, Simmons College September, 2004
- The Theresa LaPlante Award , awarded by the Theta-at-large Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International. May 2010
Editorial Review Boards
- Peer Reviewer, EPA Children's Health Panel, 2010- 2011
- Member and Massachusetts Organization of Nurse Executives, Research Council Poster Session Review Panel, 2009-present
- Peer Reviewer, Journal Of Exposure Science And Environmental Epidemiology
- Peer Reviewer: the journal Embryo Talk
- Peer Reviewer: the Journal of Women's Health
- Peer Reviewer: the NIOSH-funded Harvard ERC Pilot Projects Research Training Program.
- Peer Reviewer: Pediatrics
- Peer Reviewer: Reproductive Toxicology
Grants/Gifts Received in past 5 years
- Harvard-NIOSH-Occupational Health Grant (AY2008-9) subcontract with Harvard School of Public Health $40,521 direct and $510 indirect costs.
- Simmons Fund for Research Grant #05-060: The Utility of an Early Predictor of NCLEX Success. (With Jocelyn Loftus, Simmons College, Dept of Nursing as Principal Investigator). Funded for $2,000.
- Simmons College Diversity Action Plan Funding Award in the amount of $9,732 to identify barriers to success for minority students in the Nursing Program to improve academic success and minority student retention. (CoInvestigator) with Jocelyn Loftus
- Passport Foundation Grant "Determination of sources of bisphenol A exposure among infants in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit" $18,960 April, 2009
- Simmons College President's Fund, "A Pilot Study to Explore the Strain Relatedness of Methicillin Resistant Staphyloccus Aureus (MRSA) Between Humans, Contact Survaces and Pets. $15,000 September, 2009
- NIEHS-Harvard Center for Environmental Health Grant "Determination of sources of bisphenol A exposure among infants in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit" Pilot Grant ES000002, $11,200 August 2009.
- Nursing Catalog 2011-2012
- Guide to Nursing Credentials and Educational Requirements (What Program am I Eligible For?)