Mentoring offers an opportunity for emerging librarians and seasoned veterans to connect, share experiences, and develop their professional network.
Simmons College SLIS Mentoring Program
Assistant Dean for Student Services Em Claire Knowles leads Simmons SLIS's mentoring program by connecting current students with alumni. The program provides students with professional development and networking support through a collaborative mentoring partnership that offers guidance and fosters leadership. The relationship can be cultivated over email, telephone or in-person.
Mentors are chosen from an extensive alumni database of librarians, archivists, or information science practitioners who possess at least two years of professional experience. Matches are based on the student's career goals, desired geographic work location, and availability of mentors. A mentoring agreement is created to designated meeting times and discussion topics between the student and mentor.
Additional Mentoring Opportunities
In addition to the professional organization opportunities listed below, check with local state library associations for local networking and learning prospects:
- American Library Association New Members Round Table (NMRT) Mentoring Program. Connects new librarians to experienced librarians by offering year-long career mentoring and conference mentoring to prepare emerging librarians for professional meeting participation.
- Association of College & Research Libraries Instruction Section Mentoring Program. Librarians with teaching experience are matched with librarians new to instruction.
- Medical Library Association Mentoring Program. Provides information resources for mentors and mentees to guide the mentoring partnership.
- Young Adult Library Services Association Virtual Mentoring Program. Emerging librarians meet virtually with seasoned librarians to accomplish specific goals and projects.
- Association for Library Science to Children Mentoring Program. Matches individuals with an interest in library service to children together.