BOSTON (September 29, 2010) — Teresa Nelson, the Elizabeth J. McCandless Chair of Entrepreneurship, recently appeared on New England Cable News (NECN) Business show, to discuss the Simmons School of Management Entrepreneurship Program's recent ranking as one of the top 25 entrepreneurship programs in the nation by Entrepreneur magazine and The Princeton Review. The Simmons entrepreneurship program is one of only two graduate programs in New England, and the only program specifically designed for women, to make the list.
Professor Nelson discussed how the Simmons program tailors its curriculum to meet the needs of female students and the ways starting a business can vary between men and women.
"We've been looking at how different social realities make the life of women different, in personal lives as well as business," said Professor Nelson. "We do what any good business school does, we help women to understand what the issues are, put together a great business plan, and, most of all, be able to stand up and claim their space in terms of talking and performing in business."
She also discussed statistics that show women doubling men in start-up business ventures, explaining that it relates to women being more invested in starting family businesses, as well as a preference for entrepreneurial roles over corporate positions. She ended the interview by inviting NECN host Laytoia Edwards to "come join us" at Simmons.
The Simmons School of Management is the only AACSB-accredited business school designed specifically for women. The school is committed to advancing women of diverse backgrounds into leadership positions.
- Sports Icon and Humanitarian Billie Jean King is Simmons College’s 2014 Commencement Speaker, May 9
February 27, 2014
- Simmons College to Host Public Forums on National Health Care Reform, Feb. 25, April 3 & 14
February 20, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents: "Like Water: Photographs by Mary Lang"
February 19, 2014
- Simmons School of Social Work, the First School of Social Work in the Nation, Launches Online Master’s Program
February 18, 2014
- Simmons College Joins Mount Holyoke and Smith for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Program Focused on Emerging Women Leaders
January 29, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight