BOSTON (April 23, 2009) — Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) has received a $1 million gift that pays tribute to the late Simmons Library and Information Science Professor Allen Smith. Dr. Smith's family made this gift from his estate to enhance a scholarship fund and create a visiting scholars program. It is the largest gift from an individual in the graduate school's history.
"Dr. Smith was a superlative teacher, a valued colleague, and a fascinating conversationalist," said Simmons GSLIS Dean Michèle Cloonan said. "We are pleased that his legacy at Simmons GSLIS will be recognized in perpetuity."
Dr. Smith was legendary at Simmons College for his expertise in oral history and the humanities. The gift will bring to campus scholars from the United States and abroad who have similar expertise. It also will enhance a scholarship previously created at Simmons GSLIS in Dr. Smith's honor. The scholarship provides annual support for selected Simmons GSLIS students in good academic standing who have demonstrated financial need and an interest in oral history, reference, or the humanities.
The nationally ranked Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science is one of the oldest and largest library and information science programs in the nation.
- The Nation’s First School of Social Work, Simmons College School of Social Work, Welcomes Inaugural Class of Online Students
July 23, 2014
- Sub-Saharan African Students Attend U.S. Department of State Program on Women’s Leadership at Simmons College
July 17, 2014
- Simmons College Names New Vp For Enrollment Management, John F. Dolan
July 10, 2014
- Simmons College Names Regina M. Pisa Chair of Board of Trustees
June 25, 2014
- Contrary to Popular View, Working Women Do Negotiate For Career Success, Study Says
June 13, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2014 Release Archive
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight