BOSTON (January 20, 2009) — On the same day that President Barack Obama was sworn in as the country's 44th president, Simmons alumna Gwen Ifill '77 released her new book, "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama" (2008, Doubleday). Ifill's book was promoted in The Boston Globe, and an excerpt appeared in The New York Times — both of which referenced Ifill's time as an undergraduate at Simmons.
To read the full New York Times excerpt, click here. To read the full Boston Globe article, click here.
The highly respected senior correspondent for PBS's The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer and managing editor of Washington Week, Ifill moderated the a vice presidential debate last October between Senator Joseph Biden and Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.
Ifill spoke at the JFK Library this Thursday, Jan. 22, at 5:30 p.m. for a discussion with New York Times columnist Bob Herbert about her book and the election. For information or to register, visit the JFK library website.
- Simmons College Launches New Online Graduate Nursing Program
May 7, 2013
- Simmons College Hosts Women Fulbright Foreign Students for U.S. Department of State Seminar
April 16, 2013
- Study Shows Women Breadwinners Are 'Proud' But Keep Financial Role in Household Private
April 2, 2013
- Simmons College Names New Dean of Graduate School of Library and Information Science
March 27, 2013
- Simmons College Trustman Art Gallery Presents "Up and Out," A Sculptural Installation By Liz Shepherd
April 5, 2013
- See All 2013 Releases »
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight