BOSTON (June 19, 2008) — Five Simmons College rowers were recently recognized by the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association (CRCA) for their athletic and academic achievements this past season.
Junior Elisabeth Schwarz of Hanover, N.H., was named to the NCAA Division III Pocock All-America Second Team for her outstanding performance in the varsity boat this spring. Schwarz is the first rower in the history of the Simmons College crew team to garner All-American honors.
"Elisabeth is an extraordinary young woman who demonstrates maturity and discipline in both the athletic and academic arenas," said Head Crew Coach Nikolay Kurmakov. "She has a very strong desire to compete in the boat, and her hard work has paid off."
All-American candidates are selected based on strength of schedule, regular season record, end-of-season regatta results, nomination rank, coach's comments and 2k meter scores.
Additionally, five Simmons Sharks were named CRCA 2008 Scholar Athletes for their efforts in the classroom and in the sport. The student-athletes include: seniors Whitney Airgood (Simsbury, Conn.) and Nicole Richards (Dover, N.H.), juniors Schwarz and Lauren Searls (Rochester, N.Y.) and sophomore Nicole Gallant (Scotia, N.Y.). National Scholar Athletes are recognized in their second through fourth years of eligibility for maintaining a 3.5 GPA or higher during their careers.
"We are so very proud of these student-athletes for their achievements and in how they've represent our institution," said Simmons Athletics Director Ali Kantor. "They truly are leaders in the classroom and in their sport."
- Sports Icon and Humanitarian Billie Jean King is Simmons College’s 2014 Commencement Speaker, May 9
February 27, 2014
- Simmons College to Host Public Forums on National Health Care Reform, Feb. 25, April 3 & 14
February 20, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents: "Like Water: Photographs by Mary Lang"
February 19, 2014
- Simmons School of Social Work, the First School of Social Work in the Nation, Launches Online Master’s Program
February 18, 2014
- Simmons College Joins Mount Holyoke and Smith for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Program Focused on Emerging Women Leaders
January 29, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight