BOSTON (October 25, 2006) — A boat from the Simmons College crew team recently medaled at the prestigious Head of the Charles Regatta, the world's largest two-day rowing event which draws 7,500 competitors from throughout the globe annually.
The Simmons "collegiate fours" women's team placed third out of 27 teams nationwide with a time of 20:53.769, to capture a bronze medal.
The Simmons boat finished behind Bucknell and Penn State universities, both Division I schools.
"It was a great performance," said Simmons's head coach Nik Kurmakov, a former national team coach in the Ukraine and Russia. "The team worked very hard over the past two years to get to this point. It is a huge step forward for our team and the Simmons athletic department as a whole."
Topping off the day's competition, Coach Kurmakov won a gold medal with his teammates in the "senior-master eights" men's competition.
The Sharks wrap up the fall portion of their schedule on Oct. 28 at the Seven Sisters Regatta in Amherst, Mass.
- Simmons College Trustman Art Gallery Presents Randy Garber: High Strung
September 12, 2014
- Simmons Encore Series Features Dr. Lois Frankel, Carol Frohlinger & Victoria Labalme, Oct. 1
September 10, 2014
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks Simmons College Among Top Universities in the Nation
September 9, 2014
- Simmons School of Management Professor Joins U.S. National Women’s Business Council
August 26, 2014
- Simmons College Trustman Art Gallery Presents Retina Riot: A Two-Person Exhibition By Andrew Fish and Nancy Hayes
August 6, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2014 Release Archive
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight