BOSTON (February 24, 2004) — Hidden Underground Railroad codes in quilts will be explored Wednesday, March 3, at noon in the Simmons College library browsing room, 300 The Fenway. r.s.v.p., as space is limited.
As part of Simmons College Celebrates Black History 2004, "The History of Freedom through the Cloth," a quilting workshop and lecture, will be led by L'Merchie Frazier, director of education at the Museum of Afro-American History in Boston.
Frazier will be explaining the symbolic meanings of geometric and appliqu? designs in African textiles. She will illustrate that they are linked to quilt blocks that could have been used as part of an unspoken code that helped guide slaves to freedom via the Underground Railroad. Frazier will also be teaching these quilting techniques.
The lecture is presented by the Simmons College Office of Multicultural Affairs. For more information, contact Lisa Smith McQueenie at 617-521-2120 (Note to reporters: contact Katie Fiermonti in the public relations office, 617-521-2369, if you want to cover the lecture).
Simmons College is a nationally recognized, small, private, predominantly women's university in the heart of Boston. It has undergraduate programs for women and graduate programs for women and men.
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton to Deliver Keynote Address at 35th Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
December 11, 2013
- Simmons College Hosts National Discussion on Gender Diversity on Corporate Boards, Nov. 12
October 31, 2013
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents "Comestibles"
October 24, 2013
- Simmons College Makes Kiplinger’s “Best Value” Top 100 Private Colleges List
October 22, 2013
- Simmons School of Management Ranked #1 "Greatest Opportunity For Women" in Nation by The Princeton Review
October 15, 2013
- See All 2013 Releases »
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight