BOSTON (February 24, 2004) — Hidden Underground Railroad codes in quilts will be explored Wednesday, March 3, at noon in the Simmons College library browsing room, 300 The Fenway. r.s.v.p., as space is limited.
As part of Simmons College Celebrates Black History 2004, "The History of Freedom through the Cloth," a quilting workshop and lecture, will be led by L'Merchie Frazier, director of education at the Museum of Afro-American History in Boston.
Frazier will be explaining the symbolic meanings of geometric and appliqu? designs in African textiles. She will illustrate that they are linked to quilt blocks that could have been used as part of an unspoken code that helped guide slaves to freedom via the Underground Railroad. Frazier will also be teaching these quilting techniques.
The lecture is presented by the Simmons College Office of Multicultural Affairs. For more information, contact Lisa Smith McQueenie at 617-521-2120 (Note to reporters: contact Katie Fiermonti in the public relations office, 617-521-2369, if you want to cover the lecture).
Simmons College is a nationally recognized, small, private, predominantly women's university in the heart of Boston. It has undergraduate programs for women and graduate programs for women and men.
- Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin and Media Mogul Arianna Huffington to Speak at 36th Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
October 15, 2014
- Simmons College Trustman Art Gallery Presents Clara Lieu: Emerge
October 9, 2014
- Simmons College School of Management Ranked the #1 "Greatest Opportunity For Women" in Nation by The Princeton Review
October 8, 2014
- Simmons College Trustman Art Gallery Presents Randy Garber: High Strung
September 12, 2014
- Simmons Encore Series Features Dr. Lois Frankel, Carol Frohlinger & Victoria Labalme, Oct. 1
September 10, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2014 Release Archive
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight