Only Library School in New England Ranked Nationally; Archives & Preservation Rated #1 Program
BOSTON (March 12, 2013) — The Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) has been ranked among the nation's top 10 schools of library and information studies in the new U.S.News & World Report 2014 edition of "Best Graduate Schools."
Simmons GSLIS also is ranked in the #1 position for Archives and Preservation, and was listed among the best nationally in Digital Librarianship, Services for Children and Youth, and School Library Media.
Simmons GSLIS is the only library and information science school in New England to be ranked among the nation's best library and information science schools.
This is the third consecutive U.S.News ranking cycle — 2010, 2012 and the current 2014 — in which Simmons has ranked in the top 10. The rankings were released today and will be featured in the "Best Graduate Schools 2014" edition, available on April 9th.
The 2014 edition of "Best Graduate Schools" is based on data from more than 1,250 programs and 13,000 academics and professionals, with a focus on expert opinions about program excellence and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school's faculty, research, and students.
The ranking is from surveys conducted in 2012 and 2013, and based solely on the nominations of program deans, program directors, and a senior faculty member at each program. They were asked to choose top programs noted for excellence in each specialty area.
Below are a few recent indicators of success that highlight Simmons's excellence in library and information science and professional leadership:
- According to a recent survey in Library Journal, Simmons GSLIS was found to have the highest percentage of 2011 graduate students reporting full-time employment one year after graduation. The survey looked at 41 graduate library and information schools with 15 or more graduates.
- Interim Dean and American Library Association President Maureen Sullivan was invited to the Department of State to sign the "Declaration of Learning." The declaration, signed by former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, as well as 12 government agencies, announces the signees as members of the Inter-Agency Collaboration on Learning.
- President Barack Obama appointed Camila A. Alire, Ph.D, professor of practice in the Managerial Leadership Program, to the National Council on the Humanities in January.
- Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science Alumnus David S. Ferriero is Archivist of the United States at the National Archives and Records Administration.
- Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science Alumna Maura Marx has been appointed Deputy Director for the Office of Library Services at the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Founded in 1902, Simmons GSLIS is one of the country's oldest library and information science programs. With campuses in Boston and South Hadley, Mass., the school has 750 students in master's and doctoral degree programs, and has a network of approximately 9,000 alumni worldwide. Simmons College is a nationally recognized private university. It offers an undergraduate education for women, and renowned coeducational graduate programs in nursing and health sciences, liberal arts, social work, library and information science, and the nation's first MBA program designed specifically for women.
- Simmons School of Management Maintains Prestigious AACSB Business Accreditation
April 3, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents "Rarified": A Two-Person Exhibition by Rebecca Doughty and Alice O’Neill
April 1, 2014
- Sports Icon and Humanitarian Billie Jean King is Simmons College’s 2014 Commencement Speaker, May 9
February 27, 2014
- Simmons College to Host Public Forums on National Health Care Reform, Feb. 25, April 3 & 14
February 20, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents: "Like Water: Photographs by Mary Lang"
February 19, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight