BOSTON (November 20, 2012) — As part of a national campaign to increase the presence of women on U.S. corporate boards, Simmons College will host a 2020 Women of Boards luncheon and expert panel discussion, Dec. 12 at 11:30 a.m. in the Linda K. Paresky Conference Center of the Main College Building.
The discussion, one of several being held around the country, will focus on achieving gender diversity in U.S. corporate boardrooms. 2020 Women on Boards aims to raise the percentage of women on U.S. corporate boards to 20 percent or greater by the year 2020.
The Simmons luncheon is open to the public. To register, visit: 121212boston.eventbrite.com.
Join the conversation on Twitter: @2020wob #1212WOB
President Helen Drinan, a board member at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, will be moderating the panel. Other panelists include:
- Roslyn Watson, president of Watson Ventures and board member at Hydro One Inc., American Express Centurion Bank and Dreyfus High Yield Strategies Fund
- Joanna Lau, founder and CEO of LAU Technologies and board member at DSW and ITT Education Service
- Carolee Friedlander, CEO of AccessCircles and board member at DSW Inc.
- Gail Deegan, board member at EMC Corporation; iRobot
"Companies with a strong proportion of women on their Boards of Directors perform better — it's just that simple," said Stephanie Sonnabend, Chair and Co-Founder of 2020 Women on Boards. "Consistently, research finds that companies with women on their boards have higher returns on equity, lower relative debt levels, higher stock valuation and higher average growth."
2020 Women on Boards is a national campaign to increase the percentage of women directors on U.S. public company boards to 20 percent or greater by 2020. Campaign supporters include individuals, organizations and companies that embrace the principle that diversity in the boardroom encourages good corporate decision-making. Chapters are being launched in major cities across the U.S. 2020 Women on Boards publishes the annual Gender Diversity Index which reports on the gender diversity of boards of directors in Fortune 1000 companies. For more information, visit www.2020WOB.com.
Simmons College is a nationally recognized private university located in the heart of Boston. It offers undergraduate education for women, and renowned coeducational graduate programs in health sciences, education, liberal arts, social work, library and information science, and communications management, as well as the nation's first MBA program designed specifically for women. Follow Simmons on Twitter @SimmonsCollege and @SimmonsNews.
- Sports Icon and Humanitarian Billie Jean King is Simmons College’s 2014 Commencement Speaker, May 9
February 27, 2014
- Simmons College to Host Public Forums on National Health Care Reform, Feb. 25, April 3 & 14
February 20, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents: "Like Water: Photographs by Mary Lang"
February 19, 2014
- Simmons School of Social Work, the First School of Social Work in the Nation, Launches Online Master’s Program
February 18, 2014
- Simmons College Joins Mount Holyoke and Smith for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Program Focused on Emerging Women Leaders
January 29, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight