Summer Orientation provides you with the opportunity to make the most of your Simmons experience. Throughout the Orientation, you will meet other new students, create an academic schedule, and learn about opportunities and resources that you can utilize during your time at Simmons.
- First-Year students can choose between one of our two-day Summer Orientation Sessions on Saturday, June 20th - Sunday, June 21st, 2015 or Monday, June 22nd - Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015. The fee for the Summer Orientation is $149, and includes lodging, meals, an evening trip into Boston, and your registration materials.
Transfer students have the opportunity to choose which type of Orientation experience you wish to have.
- If you wish to have a more traditional undergraduate Orientation experience, we encourage you the two-day Orientation session on Monday, June 22nd - Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015. The fee for attending this Orientation is $149, which includes your lodging, meals, an outing into Boston, and your Orientation materials.
- Transfer students who want to attend an abbreviated one-day Orientation you can choose to attend the Transfer Orientation on Friday, June 19th, 2015. The fee for attending this Orientation is $49, which includes your meals and your Orientation materials.
- Dix Scholars' Summer Orientation sessions are personalized for your needs. Please call 617-521-2429 to register for your individual appointment.
We are delighted that you will be joining the Simmons community and look forward to seeing you at Summer Orientation!
Registration for Sumer Orientation 2015 will go live during the later part of the Spring Semester. Please check back here to register and select the session you want to attend.Please note, if the reason that you cannot attend Summer Orientation is because of the fee, before you decline, request a fee waiver. Fee waivers will be granted based on financial need as determined by the Student Financial Services Office.
Please read below to find out more about what will happen during Summer Orientation.
Overnight Orientation (First-Years and Transfers)
Orientation will begin around 9:00 a.m. on Day One and end around 3:00 p.m. on Day Two. Download a detailed schedule from last year.
The first day of Summer Orientation begins with a meeting with your Orientation Group. Your Orientation group will be led by an Orientation Leader, who is an upperclass student trained to serve as a mentor and guide to you during Orientation and your first semester at Simmons. Following this meeting, you will have the chance to take the Mathematics Competency Exam, or attend a student round table, honors program advising, or take a Fenway area tours.
During lunch you will hear from the Orientation Chair and a member of the Simmons academic community. Following lunch you will attend a session with the College Registrar to review academic requirements and then meet with an advisor for course selection. Following course selection, you will attend a resource fair, and then have the option to attend a "meet the coaches and athletes" session, departmental open houses, or attend a roommate networking event to help you meet potential roommates. In the evening, relax on the Residence Quad for a BBQ and then embark on an outing into the city with your Orientation Group! Then, return to campus for an evening social before returning to your residence hall.
Day Two begins with breakfast followed by concurrent Orientation conference sessions on topics such as "How to Find a Job", "Getting Involved", "Being a Student Athlete at Simmons", "Living on Campus," and more. After the information sessions, you will join your Orientation groups for lunch with a faculty member. The day will conclude with a final wrap-up session followed by a tea (a Simmons tradition!) with faculty and staff of the college.
One Day Orientation (Transfers)
The one-day Orientation session for Transfer Students is an abbreviated version of the overnight for traditional first-years and transfers. You will have a chance to complete the Mathematics Competency Exam or Language Placement Exams, meet with an Orientation Group led by a Transfer Student Orientation Leader, and attend information sessions that will prepare you for your registration appointment in the afternoon. In the afternoon, you will meet with an academic adviser and attend information sessions on a variety of topics. The day concludes with a dinner on the town with other incoming students, which will help you to further connect with your future classmates and start forming the connections that will be so important to you during your time here.
Additional Information for Incoming Students
- New Resident Student Information
- Commuter Student Information
- Student Leadership and Activities
- Fenway Card (Student ID)
- Parking information for Commuter Students
- Meal Plan Information
- Residence Campus Services
- Simmons College Bookstore
- Student Financial Services
- Technology for Students
- Things to Do and See in Boston