January Orientation is for all incoming first-years, transfers, and Dix Scholars who will be starting classes in the Spring Semester. Spring 2015 Orientation will take place on Friday, January 16, 2015.
At Orientation, you will meet with an academic advisor to register for classes, meet other new and incoming students, and attend important information sessions that will help ensure your success at Simmons.
All incoming students are expected to attend this Orientation, but please complete the following form to confirm your attendance and provide us with additional information. If you are unable to attend, please notify us as soon as possible so that we can work with you to make alternate arrangements. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All Orientation activities will take place on the Academic Campus, with the exception of the Campus Tours and the evening social. Check-in will take place in the Main College Building Lobby.
The tentative schedule is below; the final schedule will be avalible in early January The times will reamin the same, but session times may change.
- 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.: New resident student move-in, Office of Residence Life
- 11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.: Orientation Check-In, Lefavour Lobby
- 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.: New student & family welcome and lunch
- 1:00 - 2:00 p.m.: Mathematics Competency Exam & Campus Tours
- 2:00 - 2:45 p.m.: Understanding the Simmons College Honor Code
- 2:45 - 3:30 p.m.: Branching out to your future: Understanding Simmons College Academic Requirements
- 3:30 - 5:00 p.m: Advising (appointments as assigned and drop-in hours), Office visits, Language Placement Testing
- 5:00 - 6:00p.m.: New Resident Student Welcome
- 6:00- 7:30 p.m.: Dinner and Social with Resident Advisors and Orientation Leaders
Registration and Placement Test information
Once you have deposited at Simmons you will receive an advisor from the Office of Academic Advising and Support, to discuss pre-registration and to give you information on placement exams. Students may meet (via phone, email or in-person) with an advisor to pre-register for classes prior to Orientation. Students who are unable to speak with an advisor will have the opportunity to meet with someone during Orientation in order to get officially registered for classes. Students who pre-register will be officially registered and receive a copy of their schedule once they arrive for Orientation
Placement testing information for the math competency requirement, foreign language requirement and chemistry courses will be attached to the email you receive. There will be opportunities to take some of these exams prior to Orientation. You will receive further information once the dates and times are solidified.
If you questions about registration and placement testing, please call the Office of Academic Advising & Support at 617-521-2474
In Case of Inclement Weather
January in New England can be unpredictable, so we want you to be prepared! If Simmons is closed or has a delayed opening due to snow or ice, January Orientation will also be delayed (with a tentative snow date of Monday, January 19th). If this does not work with your schedule, or if inclement weather prevents you from attending, please notify us so that we can work with you.
Snow Closing Information will be posted on WBZ 1030 (AM) Radio and WBZ-TV Channel 4, on the Simmons Information Line (617-521-3463), and on the Simmons website. More information about Snow Closing Information can be found online.
Additional Information for Incoming Students
- New Resident Student Information
- Commuter Student Information
- Student Leadership and Activities
- Fenway Card (Student ID)
- Parking information for Commuter Students
- Meal Plan Information
- Residence Campus Services
- Simmons College Bookstore
- Student Financial Services
- Technology for Students
- Things to Do and See in Boston