Join Our Staff!
The Professional Simmons Residence Life staff ("prostaff") is composed of full time and part time staff. These members, along with the Assistant Director and the Director of Residence Life, contribute to the development of our student population both in and out of the classroom.
Please check the Simmons Employment website for the ResLife postings.
Assistant Director of Residence Life
Masters degree with 1-2 years Residence Life or related experience. Ability to interact effectively with students from diverse backgrounds. A commitment to a multicultural education and an understanding of the value of a women's college experience.
Masters degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel or Counseling strongly preferred. Three or more years of progressive work experience in the field of student affairs.
- Supervise and evaluate 3-4 Resident Directors through weekly meetings with all staff members; weekly one-on-one meetings with each staff member; and providing collateral project support
- Supervise and evaluate 3-4 Resident Advisors through weekly meetings with all staff members; weekly one-on-one meetings with each staff member; and providing programmatic support
- Oversee supervision of 1-2 residential buildings (~200 students total)
- Coordinate the Student Leadership Fall and Winter Training process for Resident Advisors
- Coordinate the residential conduct process which includes convening the Conduct Board, hearing cases and referring for further review when needed
- Create protocols and policies for Department of Residence Life
- Serve as the summer Resident Director
- Participate in planning and attend and/or present at Resident Advisor in-service programs and committee meetings
- Assist with programs and events coordinated by the Division of Student Life such as Family Weekend, Room Selection, Soiree and hall openings and closings.
- Serve as the Advisor to at least one hall council
- Serve on the Resident Director on-call rotation (7 staff members in rotation)
Postings for the PT RD position typically open March/April
Part Time Resident Director (RD) (Filled for the 2013-2014 year)
Bachelors degree with Residence Life or related experience. Ability to interact effectively with students from diverse backgrounds. A commitment to a multicultural education and an understanding of the value of a women's college experience.
Enrollment in a graduate program in an area relevant to the position. Course load and other outside commitments must be appropriate to the time demands of the position.
Stipend; the position also includes a furnished apartment and an on campus meal plan during the academic year (see benefits page).
- Supervises 3-4 Resident Advisors
- Oversees one residence facility (~100 students)
- Advises a Residence Hall Council
- Maintains 5 office hours per week in building
- Maintains 5 office hours per week in central office
- Participates in on-call duty rotation
- Works about 20 hours per week (not including on-call responsibilities)
- A bachelor's degree is required
- Preference will be given to candidates enrolled in a graduate degree program (Simmons, Northeastern University, Boston College, Suffolk University or other graduate programs welcome).
- Resident Directors enrolled in a graduate program may not have more than 15 hours per week combined internship/practicum and/or part-time employment on or off campus (outside of the Simmons RD position).
- Resident Directors must live within their assigned apartment full-time and may not have pets.
- Resident Directors must vacate their apartment by the end of their contract, May 31st. Returning staff and outgoing staff have the option of staying on campus during the summer in exchange for summer duty. Absolute last date in residence for outgoing staff is July 15th. Staff may be asked to relocate depending on availability and needs of the professional staff apartment in which they reside.
- All Resident Directors must pass a criminal background check.
- The Resident Director position is for 1 year, renewable.